Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 07:28 PM

Default A flop minraise

Villan is a lagfish. He is like 40 30 2 or something and does not appear to play well. I have not been paying too much attention to him, but he is talkign to another player at the table about how the "elephant is going to be the next victim" or something dumb, even thought the guy he was talkign w/ already rivered a FD v me when he got AI on the flop. Anyways

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $125.80
UTG+1: $105.20
CO: $65.30
Hero: $117.60
SB: $257.70
BB: $103.70

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with Jc; Qc;
3 folds, Hero raises to $3.5, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: 8h; Th; Qs; ($7.5, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $6, BB raises to $12, Hero calls.

Turn: 7d; ($31.5, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $21, BB raises to $68, Hero raises all-in $102.1

I debated both streets. I really did not feel my hand was beat on the flop; however, I didnt want to push cause that is simply too large of an overbet to really do anything useful, and I didnt want to make a psr or so and put me in a spot where he pushes on me.

On the turn, he checked to me I though for a fair while while I had probably been doing just about everythign else at instant speed so far. I was contemplating about checking behidn and calling river bets v betting here. I eventually decided to bet as I thought he owuld pay me off with worse and just play bad, hwoever, I also decided when I bet that I am going to play to the felt on this turn.

Anyways, thoughts and alternative lines as I am not the largest fan of mine tbh?

edit: I cant work the converter
Old 11-12-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: A flop minraise

This looks bad to me, defiently check behind the turn as betting here is very bad. After the check raise on the turn I would just dump it because your push has 0 FE and when he calls your behind almost 100% of the time.

A better line IMO would be to call the minraise on the flop, check behind the turn, then call a reasonable sized bet on river barring its not a big scare card. This just seems like a spew to me.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:37 PM

check the turn? I dont know if our hand is good enough to extract 3 streets of value here.

also, set your settings to '2+2' on the converter.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:43 PM

Hmmmm, flop call is marginal.

Turn bet is bad, turn AI is terrible
Old 11-12-2006, 09:03 PM

I guess my villan description sucks, but im not scared to play against this villan here for my stack on the turn. My normal line is def to check behind here and call a bluff on the river which is obv v +EV. Against this villan though, i believe playing the turn for my stack is still +EV against this villan; however, it is more variant and is probably not as +EV as checkign behind and calling a river bet, however it does have less possible profit then bettinng here and either playing my stack here or getting to bet the river as well. I guess im more about the flop but also do people like to take more variant marginal plays w/higher returns or simply the less variant one.

On the flop, against my villan description sucks as I am not folding here. I really want to 3bet, but all of the possible 3bets here suck imo as a push is too big and anything else leaves me open to a 4bet which im not certain if I want to call and wanted to avoid. I was curious of other raises that people may think of or alternatives to calling here.

edit: I do have the converter set to 2p2 and all of the visual effect things like the suits do not show up.