Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2006, 04:31 AM

Default sit n go starter kit?

i searched for the answers to these questions and struck out.
i am a long time ring game and mtt player who has dabbled for years in STT's with moderate success (although i really dont play enough to know much conclusively). i have developed/learned a strategy of extremely tight to start gradually loosening up, with what i interperate to be correct bubble play based on my understanding (this was something i found a number of posts on but not exactly what im looking for.)
after reading some of gigabet and strassa's posts and advice and am questioning some of how i go about things, especially how tightly i play early. i also played with the primary goal of getting into the money as a main concern (because of flat payout) whitch strassa in particular seemed to disagree with.

my question is if there is a place where the generally accepted basic strategy is laid out. im assuming that there is one and that there is less room for interpertation and style than in nl ring or MTT games (but i could be way off on this)
any help would be appreciated.
matty
Old 02-03-2006, 04:58 AM

Default Re: sit n go starter kit?

There are certain situations where playing to get into the money is correct like if there is a tiny stack and the big stack is putting you allin. But the payout 20% 30% 50% is not exactly flat as one 1st is better then 2 3rds. Playing to win is generally the way to go although how you play to win is the hard part. There are guides to sit n go's but they are far from optimal. The one thing about sngs that really helped me was realizing that position and relative stack sizes are the most important parts of the game. As for Strassa and Gigabets posts they mostly pertain to players that are already very good. Lower level and mid level players need to get the basics down first before trying to get fancy.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:49 AM

If you haven't done so yet, read "Harrington on Holdem" (both volumes). They helped me improve my SNG games significantly.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:49 AM

have you read the faq? that might be agood place to start.

nevermind the faq didnt have what i was looking for. search for aleo's guide to beating the 10s or 11s, something like that. that is a start, but there is plenty more to learn from there of course.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:07 AM

The FAQ is your best starter kit. Don't expect it all to apply to the games you are playing, as every level is more different than people give credit for around here. Don't abandon your own thinking just to play poker. You are going to have to do a lot of interpreting and playing to meld it all profitably into your own outlook.

Get SNG Powertools.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:50 AM

i did find aleos guide and he suggests a style very similar to the one that ive put together on my own. for some reason i thought that someone might have given their overall gameplan for the higher limit STT's. it sounds like no one really has. is aleos tight early strategy something that most players follow even when they move up or do most people follow strassa's play looser early advice.
matty