Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Top pair, crap kicker keeps getting minbet

CO is 36/10/3.5 over 50 hands

Hate these small bets. Never know what to do with a marginal hand.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.5/$1
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $4</font>, CO calls, 3 folds.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($9.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $16</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($41.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $12</font>, Hero calls.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($65.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $5</font>, Hero calls.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Top pair, crap kicker keeps getting minbet

I hate these hands too, top pair with the weak kicker isn't that much of a hand but I feel like I lay them down too much sometimes. It is so hard to lay these down to the tiny bets but I don't see much point in calling the turn here. He wants you to call, I expect an overpair or set here. Even that puny bet on the river, pathetic as it is, you might as well pack it in. He is only betting that small because he desparetly wants to get SOMETHING out of you. I can't imagine you are EVER good here on the river.

I know how you feel but I give up after he bets the turn.

Tony
Old 11-12-2006, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate these hands too, top pair with the weak kicker isn't that much of a hand but I feel like I lay them down too much sometimes. It is so hard to lay these down to the tiny bets but I don't see much point in calling the turn here. He wants you to call, I expect an overpair or set here. Even that puny bet on the river, pathetic as it is, you might as well pack it in. He is only betting that small because he desparetly wants to get SOMETHING out of you. I can't imagine you are EVER good here on the river.

I know how you feel but I give up after he bets the turn.

Tony

[/ QUOTE ]Way way way too weak-tight to fold on either the turn or river. Sometimes I feel that he HAS to have me beat, but I call anyway because of the huge pot odds, and, almost more often than not, he has a pointless bluff or something like mid-pair. Think about it this way:

On the flop: if you fold here, you're NEVER going to be able to move up in limits, as people WILL stop respecting your CBets.

On the turn: You need to be ahead about one time out five for this to be a profitable call. You have a decent hand, so this is an easy call.

On the river: You need to be ahead about one time out of fifteen for this to be a profitable call. You have a decent hand, so this is an very easy call.

Come on, this is ABC poker!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

On the flop: if you fold here, you're NEVER going to be able to move up in limits, as people WILL stop respecting your CBets.

On the turn: You need to be ahead about one time out five for this to be a profitable call. You have a decent hand, so this is an easy call.

On the river: You need to be ahead about one time out of fifteen for this to be a profitable call. You have a decent hand, so this is an very easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What size bets on the turn + river would you fold to?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

On the turn: You need to be ahead about one time out five for this to be a profitable call. You have a decent hand, so this is an easy call...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is you will probably face another gay bet on the the river which you will then use the same logic to call.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What size bets on the turn + river would you fold to?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it's hard to say, but with just the information you've given, I'd say about $25 on either street.

[ QUOTE ]
Thing is you will probably face another gay bet on the the river which you will then use the same logic to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, and I'm gonna call it.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:10 AM

Meh, I probably play it the same, but I'm a station.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:20 AM

[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize the pot odds and I feel weak tight when I do this but it still seems hard to believe they do this with worse hands often enough to be profitable. Villian has to expect a call with this retard mini bets so how the hell can he do it with worse than top pair garbage kicker? I know players aren't great at this level but are they value bluffing the river that often?

Tony
Old 11-12-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize the pot odds and I feel weak tight when I do this but it still seems hard to believe they do this with worse hands often enough to be profitable. Villian has to expect a call with this retard mini bets so how the hell can he do it with worse than top pair garbage kicker? I know players aren't great at this level but are they value bluffing the river that often?

Tony

[/ QUOTE ]

Often enough. I always close my eyes when I make calls like this, and, much much more than .07% of the time, I'm surprised by the result.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:11 PM

Don't bet soo much on the flop. As played you have to call down given the odds. If he raises to like $22 or more on the flop I muck it there.