Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 10:01 PM

Default Spotting Tells on \"older\" players

Just got done playing the first of two tournaments of the World Offshore Poker Tournament. 75-80 percent of the field are 59+ years old. Looking for tells and lucky to find even a pulse. Any one recommend things to look for in players of this type? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Thanks in advance. P.S. Just read Joe Navarro "Readem'and Reap" and highly recommend. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2006, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Spotting Tells on \"older\" players

Caro's book would probably work. "Ahh, might as well call..." = mortal nuts.

Holding their pocket cards and shuffling them around = "I'm folding, hurry up you guys so I can go pee..."

etc [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(PS I haven't read Navarro's book yet. Please post your review in the book forum. Thanks).
Old 11-12-2006, 05:10 AM

My personal favorite is "Is it to me? How much can I bet"

-J
Old 11-12-2006, 03:02 PM

If an old person is raising you are beat.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If an old lady is raising you are beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

But there are plenty of old men that really suck at poker!

AB
Old 11-12-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My personal favorite is "Is it to me? How much can I bet"

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

lol Some of these older guys are so obvious. I remember one guy who was the opposite. He never seemed to know if it was one, two or three bets to him if he had a bad hand. But if he was ahead he knew exactly how much to call or raise...

Another good one was in a tournament. This lady put her cards with a chip on them in front of her chips if she was going to fold. If she had a hand she would put the cards in back of her chip stack. Gold, pure gold... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 PM

1. Watch out for shaky hands on old people. There are a lot of old people with shaky hands so it doesn't always mean great cards.

2. Look for oldies who have to lean over the table to see the cards. It they stay leaned and keep staring, they probably have bad cards.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If an old person is raising you are beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran into this at a $4/8 limit HE game the other day. I'd been at the table for 30 minutes or so and an older guy about 65-70 was trying to get a seat at another table so he bought in to our game. After about 3 hands he was as easy to read as a book. When he had it and bet, called or raised, he couldn't put his chips out there so fast enough. At first I thought it was a sign of weakness, trying to appear strong but after showing down the winner every time he did it, I changed my tune. If he didn't have a great hand, maybe just 2nd pair or a draw, he'd hesitate then call. It was almost comical. But as quoted above, if he had it, he was betting and it was always a big hand. Unfortunately, a seat opened up at the other table pretty quick and he left.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:25 AM

I dont mind playing with old farts, and heres a few things I've seen:

1) They are easy to tilt. Many take walks frequently. They frequently scowl, get in arguments, and are generally disagreeable characters.
2) They dont raise much pre-flop especially with AKo or AJs and they especially hate JJ.
3) Some are overly timid, some bluff too much
4) Sometimes they are very slow
5) Some pretend they arent mentally competent, but usualy are.
6) They are so cheap they always go for comps and free food any little dime they can get.
7) Sometimes they smell
8) Sometimes they are in a coma-tose state until they get AA or KK and all of a sudden they join the rest of the table until they get cracked, scowl, and then go back to coma-tose.
9) For as long as they have been playing, you'd think some of them can play better than they do.
10) They tend to still dress in the decade they came to sexual maturity (i.e. 20's or 30's). For example, if they were 20 or 30 in the late sixties, they may still way goofy turtlenecks with large medallions, leisure suits, etc.

They are not the nicest players in the world. Even if they talk to you kindly and what not between hands, they are generally greedy, selfish, and ornery. They are extremely difficult to befriend as they dont trust anybody and the mere fact that you beat them once or twice or continually makes them hate you. The older men can get really cranky, and the women act especially nice but get out their viscousness during the hand.

I have never played with any older people that I befriended for very long. Usually I ended up beating them in a hand, they took it personally, and went after me from that point on.

-J