Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 06:34 PM

Default What is metagame?

I have heard the term metagame a bit, but cant seem to find a definition. ps i have tried the search function, the word keeps coming up, but no definition. /any help?
Old 11-11-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Re: What is metagame?

Exhibit A of metagame:

Others can elaborate, I'm sure.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:59 PM

Basically metagame is doing things to influence others' perception of you at the table, even though it may not be the best play in a vacuum. An example off the top of my head would be if you are playing a hand vs an opponent whom you play against most every day, you may push or raise all-in with nothing but a draw not really caring if you get caught b/c not only is there a chance to draw out, but that opponent sees you push with a draw and his perception of you has changed. Let's say you suckout on him and later in the tournament you flop a set or 2pr on a board where he represents TPTK. Now you can shove and he is likely to put you on a draw and pay you off. Thus, pushing the draw was done for metagame purposes.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:00 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metagame
Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 PM

Thanks guys, i had only ever heard of the term deception, but metagame sounds much more learned, astute and technical!
Old 11-11-2006, 07:48 PM

a justification for bad play.

as a corollary, see the term "floating".
Old 11-11-2006, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a justification for bad play.

as a corollary, see the term "floating".

[/ QUOTE ]

Always bad play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

How about using your tight image to make a squeeze play as in Harrington's example of this with 62o. Considering that hand and only that hand this has to be a bad play. In the context of all involved and what they know of each other it probably isn't. Wouldn't that fall under the definition of metagame?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:02 PM

Wow, that is totally different from the way I've used the term for years...My understanding was that a metagame is how specific people play in certain geographical areas, sort of in a bubble and outside of the rest of the group. Similar to being moved to different tables in a MTT. Consider statrting out at a table where there are loose, extremely aggrsive players. One gets knocked out, and you are moved to another table full of tight players, with almost no aggrression whatsoever. It will take a few orbits for you to adjust to the new metagame at this different table. Hope that helps...
Old 11-11-2006, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, that is totally different from the way I've used the term for years...My understanding was that a metagame is how specific people play in certain geographical areas, sort of in a bubble and outside of the rest of the group. Similar to being moved to different tables in a MTT. Consider statrting out at a table where there are loose, extremely aggrsive players. One gets knocked out, and you are moved to another table full of tight players, with almost no aggrression whatsoever. It will take a few orbits for you to adjust to the new metagame at this different table. Hope that helps...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong.

Also the squeeze harrington refers to has little metagame value, its value lies in simply how wide the hand ranges are and their calling ranges, classic example you're the BB with any random hand, button std. raises SB calls, you shove. Now what does button have to have? Nothing, he could very concievably have any two here. So most of the time he will fold, even moreso because he has SB to act behind, so button needs a pretty huge hand to call. Similarly SB probably doesnt have much since he didnt reraise, so he folds most of the time too. Now the squeeze is becoming fairly common so some people in the SBs spot would call with a big hand to induce a squeeze, also people tend to call lighter now.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also the squeeze harrington refers to has little metagame value, its value lies in simply how wide the hand ranges are and their calling ranges

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right. When I gave it as an example I saw it as shaky, but possibly valid. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that this is a good example or I've got a misconception. Either is possible [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My thought was that it was metagame in the sense that Harrington's image (things that had happened outside of this hand) as well as the other players involved and the ranges each would have attached to the other might be pushing this into the area of metagame. If I remember the players were Daniel N (or a similiar player) who open-raised (which could be any two). The cold caller would have done so with a wide range because he knows DN could be raising with anything. Harrington's perceived image would have the other player's put him on a very tight range to be making this move. I think just assigning ranges to other players different than the default for an unknown fits within metagame. Then the squeeze seems to be comparable to some of the examples in the definition linked in a post above.