Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Small Stakes Hold\'em by Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth

I've bought this book, along with a few others, and I only now realize that it seems specifically for LIMIT hold 'em.

I am strictly a No Limit player (cash and tournaments), and i really don't like Limit and plan on never playing it.

My basic question is, should i read this book? Will it help me at all playing No Limit? Could it actually hurt my no limit game?

By the way, i have already read The Theory of Poker by Sklansky.

I'm wondering also about other books, such as Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky. Is this book specificed for Limit as well? Does anyone have recommendations for books specifically on No Limit holdem?

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-10-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Small Stakes Hold\'em by Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth

SSHE isn't really applicable for no limit. If you try and use some of the concepts or the preflop charts you can get yourself into trouble.

For no limit play, either get the Harrington on Hold'em series which I really liked, or the new Sklansky, Miller book No Limit Hold'em Theory and Practice.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:34 PM

The most important skill in hold'em is to be able to look at your hand, the board, and your opponents, and know what are the chances are that you have the best hand. Small Stakes Hold'em (SSHE) helps you with this, so it's not completely useless to you. My main game is Limit so I can't tell you for sure, but I suspect that in No Limit, if you don't read thoughtfully, SSHE could cause you to overplay top pair and the like.

Twoplustwo sells a couple of good books for No Limit, that you can find on the main page www.twoplustwo.com. If you just want to get good, Harrington on Hold'em Volumes 1 and 2 is a nice book. If you are in cash games you only need to pay attention to the big stack situations. If you want to understand some of the underlying issues involved, Theory of No Limit by Sklansky and Miller was kind of nice.

Regardless of what you do, there is no substitute for thinking for yourself and understanding why certain plays work, and being able to derive that as if there were no book.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most important skill in hold'em is to be able to look at your hand, the board, and your opponents, and know what are the chances are that you will have the best hand by the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:49 PM

SSHE is great but I play SSHE. HoH series is also great, but it is geared towards tourney play and not as much for SnG NLHE, but it will help.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:45 PM

Try doing a search in this forum. You should find everything you're looking for.

Books/publications

Regards,
Carl