Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Re: GD Donk Bet!

[ QUOTE ]
When would you advocate floating?

[/ QUOTE ]
Against a player who c-bets much, preferably on a flop with only low cards, as it's quite likely he has only whiffed overs.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:22 PM

Thanks
Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 PM

Ok -- castigate me with links to the "Search" feature all you'd like -- I can't find an actual definition for these terms...

What is floating?

And what is a "Donk Bet"? Just a bet that makes no sense to you after the flop? Or a pot-sized bet that doesn't add up? If you don't know what they had, how are you sure they're a donkey?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What is floating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the stickies. uNL concepts week 1 is about floating. SSNL stickies probably have lots of stuff on this as well.

[ QUOTE ]

And what is a "Donk Bet"? Just a bet that makes no sense to you after the flop? Or a pot-sized bet that doesn't add up? If you don't know what they had, how are you sure they're a donkey?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I have understood it, it means when somebody leads (ie. bets out of position) when they have not been the aggressor on the previous street. For example if you raise preflop, somebody calls and then bets on the flop before you get to act.

I like it when they donk if I don't have anything, saves me a c-bet.

I don't know which word came first, donkey or donk. Maybe donkey is derived from the donk bet? Or the other way around. Maybe they aren't even related terms. How is it?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What is floating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the stickies. uNL concepts week 1 is about floating. SSNL stickies probably have lots of stuff on this as well.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I have understood it, it means when somebody leads (ie. bets out of position) when they have not been the aggressor on the previous street. For example if you raise preflop, somebody calls and then bets on the flop before you get to act.

I like it when they donk if I don't have anything, saves me a c-bet.

I don't know which word came first, donkey or donk. Maybe donkey is derived from the donk bet? Or the other way around. Maybe they aren't even related terms. How is it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Floating is to call a bet with the plan to take the pot away from villain with a bluff on a later street.

What akkahai said, and usually a donk bet is a very small bet too, like 1BB or similar.

Of course donkey was first. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2006, 03:08 PM

typically you should raise these donkbets with anything, but the potsized ones give me more pause.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:51 PM

People Donk bet for all sorts of reasons.

Some do it with their draws, some do it because they have a mid pair and want to see if i missed with my over cards, some do it because they hit a hand like 2 pair and want to start building a pot (Good players do the last one, bad players normally only the other two.)
Old 11-10-2006, 04:18 PM

I used to get really worked up if someone always raised my c-bets or took away my opportunity to c-bet by donking. I alwyas suspected that he is just bluffing me off the hand and that I somehow had to make a stand against his bluff. With this negative perspective I have lost many big pots by playing back with mediocre holdings. I have also at times been timid at raising or c-betting because of the fear of someone playing back at me.

Then I realised that it doesn't matter if I give him my preflop raise and my c-bet. Sooner or later there will be a hand where I get it all back in one piece (and then some).

Now I get really excited when someone repeatedly does this. I feel like I am setting up a trap by giving him small pot after small pot. More often than not he will run right into my trap within the session. Plus the positive perspective I now maintain on the situation actually helps my confidence.

I guess as I move up it won't be that simple anymore but right now at NL10 the reckless players have almost always paid up sooner or later.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:55 AM

So is this 'donk' betting always a bad idea? I know it always annoys me when someone calls my raise, leads out, and I have to fold. So I try to do it myself, particularly when...

[ QUOTE ]

Some do it with their draws, some do it because they have a mid pair and want to see if i missed with my over cards, some do it because they hit a hand like 2 pair and want to start building a pot (Good players do the last one, bad players normally only the other two.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to do all three! So often if you're in the blind and you call a raise the raiser has to fold when you hit your middle pair - what's wrong with doing this? I am officially worried.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:58 AM

Ehrm. You shouldn't try winning every pot. If you do, you lose. I think trying to take these pots away will make you a losing player.