Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2006, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Why Golf Sucks, rambling, inspired by other thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hitting a fairway at 310 is more damned luck than anything. See the pros stats, 50% is good accuracy for that distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason why you believe that it is luck to hit the fairway while hitting it that far is because you are not good enough to actually hit it that far. Think about it. These guys on the PGA are the best in the world. In 2005 only 3 players averaged over 310 yards. If you slow you swing down and actually swing in control then you will hit a lot more fairways and not lose all that much distance.

[ QUOTE ]
6500 yards is a more pleasant walk than 7500.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont know if you are playing on the PGA or not but nobody is forcing you to play an course that is 7500 yards, especially considering there are only a handful in the entire United States.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't have 6 inch rough and bushes and tumbleweeds and impassable thorn gardens off the fairway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again...why are you playing these courses if you dont like them?? Find a select few courses that you like and play them.

Golf is actually a very fun game if you can learn to enjoy it. Maybe you aren't fit for playing the toughest courses in the world as you make it sound. Why not buy a 12 pack and just have fun and not worry about your score for a couple of rounds, im sure it will make you enjoy the game a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstand me completely. I am 6'5" 235 so I hit the ball as far as I please-- yes, over 310 most of the time. Distance and accuracy with the driver are not a problem. If you don't believe me, what can I say. I am going to compete in some long drive events this year.

What if there were a ball that went 50% farther than the current ones? Then courses would have to be even longer. I think the ball as it is today is already out of control, distance-wise.

I think 6500 yds creates a good balance. 7000+ is just too long for most people to play and walk and move quickly.

I dream of being able to walk out to a public course, pay <$50, and play in < 3:30 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay yes I did misunderstand you. I thought you were ranting about how the courses are all do damn hard and that it is impossible to hit it 310 and hit the fairway.

I agree that technology should slow down. Over the past 5 years it has changed the game a ton and if it keeps up the game will get out of hand.