Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Limidonk takes on Winstar 2/5NL

background:
played 2/4 and 3/6 limit for the past year online and havent played much no limit during that time. I used to play the 2/5NL game at winstar last summer a lot, but havent in months, so Im a little lost. Im not sure how to play this hand after the flop. Seems like an easy limit hand but not exactly sure what to do here.

Villain is a 25ish white kid who has appeared tight/solid in the few rounds I have been at the table, mostly him folding, opened once in the CO and took it down w/ a cbet on a Axx board.

Stacks: Hero $440 villain covers

Hero is in the CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain limps UTG+1, loose payoff donkey over limps right after him, Hero raises to $25, call call.

Flop

K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

check, check, Hero bets $70, villain calls, donkey folds.

Turn

7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

he checks, I check

River

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

villain bets $100, hero ...

Can I win this or does the river kill any reasonable hand that I could have beat? Is this the kind of spot where checking the turn for pot control is a viable option, or is betting the turn a better play here? PF and flop bets are ok sized, right?

Thanks for any help
Old 11-10-2006, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Limidonk takes on Winstar 2/5NL

villian limp called in early pos. PF, c/c dry flop, checked turn, and bet about 1/2 pot on the river. His line is consistent with 88/77/KQ/KJs/KTs/56/T9/87 and I'm not really sure what else. Getting a little better than 3:1 may not be good enough. Truthfully, it's close either way given the dry nature of the board and that river card really sucks. Without a better read, I call but folding is probably ok as well.

Bet/folding the turn would be ok as well assuming you check behind most rivers against what you think is a solid player. The check behind turn here is a perfect spot to exercise pot control.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Limidonk takes on Winstar 2/5NL

Your check behind on the turn induces a bluff often enough OR leads villain to believe he's betting for value often enough to make this a call. You will see lower pockets, paired queens, worse kings often enough to be good here.