Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 01:56 AM

Default NL100: AK flops TPTK

Villain's third hand, so nothing.

I couldn't really decide what he would check/raise the flop with, so I got a little passive. When he checked the river I was about 99.3% sure I was good.

Turn call okay? What about river shove?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Button ($58.35)
SB ($92.40)
Hero ($98)
UTG ($153.85)
MP ($128.25)
CO ($98.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls $1, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, Button folds, SB calls $4.

Flop: ($11) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $16</font>, Hero calls $8.

Turn: ($43) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($73) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $62 (All-In)</font>
Old 11-10-2006, 02:13 AM

Default Re: NL100: AK flops TPTK

I've tried typing out a response, and i keep 2nd guessing myself.

First was VB 30 on river.
Then changed to 3b flop to prevent 9T/65 from drawing.
The changed to push turn.

I have no idea.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:18 AM

Why not shove the turn? That bet seems awful weak.

The flop minraise + turn weak lead smells like a weaker TP or a draw or some other weak made hand.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 AM

Haven't read any other replys, but I don't really like the shove on the river against an unknown. Are you bluffing or value betting? If you are value betting, I don't see what he calls with that you beat. Maybe you ran into a live one and he pays you off with AJ or AT (or hell a really live one and he pays you off with any random ace), but probably you're folding every ace that you beat.

If you are bluffing, you're pretty much asking someone to lay down 2 pair on an awfly unthreatening board. Maybe he throws away 87 here, but against an unknown player 6-handed, I'm not counting on it.

I do think you have the best hand though; I'd bet $20-30 and see if you can get a little value on the river. I think the push requires a read one way or the other (i.e. that he will call a worse hand or fold a better one).
Old 11-10-2006, 02:24 AM

I'm not really worried about being behind here, and it was definitely a value bet. I bet $30 a lot here, but I underrepresented my hand a lot on earlier streets so I thought there was a decent chance he thinks I'm bluffing and I get looked up light. Unknown @ NL100 almost always = donk.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not shove the turn? That bet seems awful weak.

The flop minraise + turn weak lead smells like a weaker TO or a draw or some other weak made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it smells like either a draw (probably 9T) or a set to me, and the problem with shoving is, well, that's when you're going to find out which it is. 3 betting the flop and folding to a reraise might have made the hand play easier.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really worried about being behind here, and it was definitely a value bet. I bet $30 a lot here, but I underrepresented my hand a lot on earlier streets so I thought there was a decent chance he thinks I'm bluffing and I get looked up light. Unknown @ NL100 almost always = donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I don't think you are behind here terribly often either. I always feel like when I make the "it looks like a bluff so I'll get called light" bet against an unknown it almost never gets called. Otoh, maybe there aren't enough hands that call 30 but not 60 to make the 30 bet worthwhile.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:28 AM

I think you played it fine