Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Bill Maher says, I\'m willing to drop guns and gay marriage...

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get what Maher is saying. Is he saying he's willing to ban gay marriage and guns? Or he's willing to "drop them" as issues. If so, where the hell does he stand on gun control?

This guy is all over the map, I have no clue what he believes politically, I think he just says whatever will get him more book sales and TV ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that one makse sense. ABC dropped him for his thoughts. I think hes saying dropping those issues make keep a guy like Bush out of office

Old 11-09-2006, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This guy is all over the map, I have no clue what he believes politically,

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it matter? He is a comedian. That hardly makes him a politcal guru.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
warlock,

So basically you are saying, in line with the philosophy of Bill Clinton, that it is better to abandon any principles or constituents in order to get office or stay in office, even when it means hypocritical adoption of positions totally contrary to one's actual beliefs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously abandoning gun control and pushing for gay marriage is not abandoning your constituents.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 PM

Regarding Maher's comments about Mehlman, was that appropriate? I can see it "both ways" [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. I guess Mehlman just announced he is stepping down.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that the democrats do have a hidden agenda on many issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of hidden agendas:

Bush (before the election): "Rummy will stay till the end of my term"

Do you pay any attention to anything your party does? Or, are you just a partisan hack like BGC?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gun control is BS anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pro gun, and I know it's not BS, usually poorly thought out and poorly implemented policy, but not BS.

The real question is, what sort of a policy might be effective in maintaining the firearm rights of citizens and reducing the number of illegal guns reaching the hands of criminals?

This type of policy must be done nationaly because, most illegal guns in MA come from NH, most in DC and MD come from VA. I think, something along the lines requiring companies to keep databases linking the serial numbers with the rifle patters, that law enforcement can look at only with supeona, and then requiring everyone in the nation who sells firearm to keep a bill of sale identifying to whom the gun is sold (only available by supoena and enforced by some sort of fine when not done) so that there is a trail that can be followed preventing illegal sales of firearms. Exactly how it would be implemented is a tough quesiton, and making it effective... another tough one.

I think that is what the Democrat's platform on gun control, on the national level, should be and that's where it should stop.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There would be no demand for nuclear weapons on the free market and thus no need to "control" them amongst private citizens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, that's the funniest thing I've seen this week. And I saw the Borat movie last night. There would be no demand for nuclear weapons if everyone was rational, but most people aren't rational. I expect rather a lot of people would want to own a nuke if they could, and even if they were all sane enough to not randomly use them, eventually an accident would happen. This is one of the few things that make me question pure ACism, as I haven't seen a valid AC solution to this problem.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:28 PM

I hear he also said outed Ken Mehlman as being a queer, or rather a "known" queer. He always looked a little gay to me and on the "lefty" blogs he is sometimes mocked for campaigning and leading people who hate him and his "kind".
Old 11-10-2006, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill Maher is a worthless piece of liberal [censored].

The man has been decrying marriage for years and saying how much better it is to be single, and two weeks ago when NJ ok'ed civil unions, one of his guests said he was gay and getting married, Bill Maher started a big round of applause for him.

That's off topic, I just thought I'd point that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me he was applauding his guest now having RIGHT to get married, not the institution of marriage itself. Why must you be a fan of something in order to applaud someone being treated equally? Maybe he just thinks everyone should have the same right to do something idiotic like get married.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:08 AM

I've always liked Maher but I can't watch him anymore because he has the most annoying/retarded live audience in television history.