Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 01:54 AM

Default i think i have a virus?

hey guys
i have norton anti virus and i have ad aware. occasionnally i've been noticing an "unnamed" program that will show up on the taskbar and then disappear less then a second later. is this a virus? how can i find out what it is and get rid of it? should/can i post a list of all the programs taht are currently running or is there a better way to go about this. fwiw, i did a norton antivirus scan recently and found nothing.

thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 03:08 AM

Default Re: i think i have a virus?

If you're running XP press ctrl,alt,del to bring up the task manager.

Look under your processes tab and associate your running processes that relate to the user name of the PC (not local and system and stuff)

If you see something outta the ordinary that you dont recognize try to find out what it is and see if its not supposed to be there.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:10 AM

I have this same problem. I have no idea what it is. Did you find a way to fix it? Or did you even find out what it was?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:38 PM

never had this problem, however I agree m21s, go through the process list and refer to http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm this website to figure out what each is, if there is one there that shouldnt be then you have a better idea of what is going on.

is this coming up only at start up? or randomly. If start up, run MSCONFIG, and look at what is in the startup tab. If randomly good luck. Your best bet is to attempt to figure out if something else is causing this, patterns, etc. You may want to get a different antivirus to check, and it is always recommended to have more than one adware program.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:59 PM

I have not gone through the whole process list yet. I will do that. This is coming up at random times throughout the day. A little blank window will appear in the taskbar and go away a second later. At first I thought it was Firefox blocking a pop up but this happens even when Im on the internet. I have a bunch of antivirus checks, spysweeper, adaware, ms anti spyware, norton, spypot s+d. nothing is coming up in those. Ran them in safe mode too. Im on the laptop right now but I will reply back when I finish going through the process list.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:05 PM

I think if you running all those anti-spyware/anti-virus programs then your considered relatively safe. It may be a harmless part of another program you have running.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:00 PM

You should run Procexp . It is process explorer and runs like Task Manager, but it tells you exactly what each .exe running in your system memory is and what it belongs to.