Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Gay marriage ban

[ QUOTE ]
The secular argument is that gay marriage is costly with regards to benefits provided, but is unlikely to produce children, which has historically been considered the compelling state interest for marriages. Adoption has mitigted that argument somewhat, and that cold/economic/[censored] secular rationale is very dubiously in many minds at the voting booth.

[/ QUOTE ]

So lets let them not get married and be less likely to have kids. Very poor argument defeats itself.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sarcasm it is. Perhaps I laid it on a little thick.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was really funny but hard to tell because there are plenty of crazies who spout of like that. I was kind of hoping to see more of that to understand why people vote like this. Thats what I get for posting here. Should have posted in BBV or OOT to see the crazy fly off the handle.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:19 AM

The institution of marriage has suffered enough degradation in recent decades. Leave it alone. Why is it necessary to experiment with an institution integral to the family structure for thousands of years? Because homosexuality has become hip for all of a couple decades now?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The institution of marriage has suffered enough degradation in recent decades. Leave it alone. Why is it necessary to experiment with an institution integral to the family structure for thousands of years? Because homosexuality has become hip for all of a couple decades now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why not allow civil unions? Completely separate from the church. A way for gays to share equal rights under the law. Certain churches are going to marry them anyways.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:42 PM

Gay marriage is an overblown, pointless issue. I'm still trying to figure out why gay people want to get married.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gay marriage is an overblown, pointless issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2006, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gay marriage is an overblown, pointless issue. I'm still trying to figure out why gay people want to get married.

[/ QUOTE ]
They won't be in Wisconsin...
Old 11-09-2006, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Why do heterosexual people want to get married?
Old 11-09-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not? Why do heterosexual people want to get married?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brainwashing and time preference. I think science has conclusively shown at this point that spending the entirety of one's life with one person is unnatural and unhealthy.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I see it pretty cut and dry as separation of church and state. Our government shouldn't make laws based on religious views to govern people of other religions.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't preventing gay people from getting married in their own church/organization/whatever. The state simply won't recognize it.

The fact of the matter is that gay marriage/homosexuality is anti-evolution. There is a fundamental and scientific difference between the union of gays and the union of child bearing straight people. Does that mean gay people should be ridiculed in some way? Absolutely not. Do I believe they should be denied some form of civil union? No. Heck I think two sisters who live with each other should be allowed the right to take care of each other, inherit property, etc. And in most states (that I'm aware of) they are. But there is a difference between all three of those scenarios and I believe they should be treated differently even if it's just in name.

hmnpoker:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's symbolism. It's a battle for gay people to say homosexuality is equal to heterosexuality. That is why a lot of them won't settle for civil unions.