Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Forum Project: Get listed on Google fast!

I'm looking at getting both done. Getting indexed is a good start but getting the right keywords associated with yourself is also really important so I'll offer some advice on that too.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:36 PM

Does anyone know of a internet program that will tell you how deep into the search results a given page is for a given search term?
Max
Old 11-08-2006, 08:44 PM

Couple quick corrections just so people don't get confused:

Rankings are where you show up in the search engine for a given search term. This you want very badly.

PageRank is a Google gimmick. The point of PageRank is very strange. No matter who says they know the secret formula, they do not. Pagerank has little to no bearing on ranking in the search engines either. I can show you countless examples where a PageRank 0 has the first ranking for a search term.

The truth about PageRank is this:

#1 Webmasters love it. Then want to see that number and that bar and it makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside.

#2 Links are everything in terms of PageRank. Again no one knows the formula, but if you have a bunch of links on sites with PageRank, some of it gets passed to you. And then you get PageRank and can pass it on to someone else.

#3 At some point you will more then likely pay someone for a link because of their PageRank.

Put these points together, and hopefully you see that PageRank = another way to make money on your site by selling links to others. But this you should not worry about early on.

Without going into too much detail, often times by default your site will not show PR for multiple months, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO OR HOW MANY LINKS YOU HAVE. Search for Google Sandbox if you want to know more.

Also, the toolbar PR only gets updated about once every 2-3 months. It does not change except on these days where it is updating. I often find that my new pages take 2 cycles or 4 months to get PR, and they are indexed on day 1, heavily linked to by relevant pages with PR, and these new pages are also on a site that has PR itself.

The point of all this is to not waste time and money thinking or worrying about PR when you are just starting out, because more then likely it will not show for a long period of time. Make content, get links/promote, optimize, repeat. It will be a much better use of your time early on.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:02 PM

I've had my site up for almost a week now.
It needs more content though, it's just a stub so far.
However, it's already listed in google.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:31 AM

Ok, looks like not many people have stuff setup yet. I'll write some stuff up about basic SEO another time. For now I suggest everyone just follow JoshK's advice and use Craig's list to get listed.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:21 PM

Just slap adsense on your site; you should be indexed within 48 hours.