Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Poker won Virginia.

I know for a fact we made a differnece... I live in Virginia, and have several buddies that like me, consider online poker our passion, passtime, and even part time job... we all voted for Webb, and before this election, I had NEVER voted democrat. In a state of 6 million people, and an election of 2.5 million votes that appears to have been decided by a mere 6000 votes (less that one half of one percent difference) consider that if Virginia is inline with the national numbers, then there are apprx. 300,000 people playing poker online in virginia. If even a tenth of those players voted (and many more than a tenth most likely voted), then those 30,000 votes may have swung this entire election! I just wish the media would stop ignoring us... We are not a small group!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Poker won Virginia.

Why do you think the Dems are pro online gambling? Did you see who voted for the bill?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:27 PM

I hope the final tally justifies your headline.

(I think Art Monk was a truly underrated player, just because he was as bland a public personality as anyone drawing breath.)
Old 11-08-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think the Dems are pro online gambling? Did you see who voted for the bill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which party has been crusading against online gaming for nearly 11 years? HINT: It's not the Democrats
Old 11-08-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said they were. But we all know that this bill would have never passed in a democrat controlled congress... all the bill's sponsors in both houses were republicans, and the only people that argued against the legislation were democrat. The democrats were put in a position by the way this bill was attached to a national security bill, that politically, they didn't have much of a choice in voting for it... Are you trying to tell me that online gaming is not better off with democrats in control? Because I can't see how it couldn't be... While dems might not be "pro online gambling" they are certainly not the ones pushing the issue.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 PM

Well put.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope the final tally justifies your headline.

(I think Art Monk was a truly underrated player, just because he was as bland a public personality as anyone drawing breath.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone is pretty confident that the vote will hold.... last year in VA we had a recount in a close election with slightly uder 2 million voters, and the recount only changed the result by 30 votes.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 PM

It's disingenuous to say the UIGEA was "voted for".
Old 11-08-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the wrong question. The right question is WHY was this bill pushed down our throat? When you arrive at the answer, you will probably realize that the Democrats would not have pushed this issue for that reason, and all the other reasons would not have been compelling enough.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which party has been crusading against online gaming for nearly 11 years? HINT: It's not the Democrats

[/ QUOTE ]

Go figure. Poker players help elect donkeys into office.