Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: GWB flipflops too soon - says he never said \"Stay the Course\"

'Stay the Course' is purposefully vague so it can be bent to mean whatever you want it to mean. Yes the Bush administration is dishonest and yes the GOP is good at playing politics. Next "issue" please.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone knows that I think Bush is probably the most damaging president in history but I simply don't see this "stay the course" thing as a valid complaint..... yet. We are in there and we aren't leaving, so what should we be doing that we aren't?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise taxes, implement the Draft, and win the [censored] thing. He's been playing politics the whole time with the lives of our soldiers by not treating this as a real war. They haven't done any of the above because they don't want to lose popularity points in the polls.

They fired Generals who said we needed more troops, and now as we are gradually losing it took a democratic landslide to wake these idiot neocons up.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Raise taxes, implement the Draft, and win the [censored] thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think this would work at this point? Seems like such a clusterf--- now that throwing more troops and money at it wouldn't fix things. It could have made a huge difference initially but now things seem too chaotic for a quick win.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:57 PM

Default Re: The President\'s Press Conference 11-08

"So which part of this strategy is no longer on Bush's list of goals?"

That's what I was wondering. On 10-21, the strategy was not changing, only the tactics. Today, the strategy and personnel changed in favor of a "fresh approach." All we heard was that things weren't going well enough nor fast enough.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://thinkprogress.org/2006/10/22/...ay-the-course/

hilarious -

for him to spew such blatantly false ignorance like this is normal, but I expected it AFTER the midterms -

the fear is spreading [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] - they have to start re-spinning 3 weeks before the election in an attempt to save votes -

at least we're now considering other options - see - it IS good to have some competition once in a while - brings out competence

footage and documentation at the above link

rb

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not a flip flop, he never said "we never SAID stay the course"

He acknowledged today that he wasn't communicating his points on Iraq clearly. "Stay the course" meant "we are going to support the people of Iraq in developing a stable democracy" it never meant "we will do tomorrow what we did today because that is what we did yesterday"

I thought libs were supposed to be the nuanced ones. Why do I have to explain this?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:16 PM

Stay the course meant a whole host of things, and just turned out to be unfortunate rhetoric designed to enhance his tough on terror image and be a three-word response for "i"m not going to pull out our troops before we have achieved our goals, which are...". I'm a liberal and I understand that, but it's not as though when a liberal mispeaks Republicans give him the literal benefit of the doubt. I suspect most of the critcism you see is a little payback and posturing, as is most of politics.