Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 05:22 PM

Default Small pair, common situation

You are in one of the blinds with a small pocket pair. Either the button or cutoff raises preflop and you call. Assume your opponent is an average winning aggressive player, but aside from knowing that you have no reads on him or her. The flop comes down paired and over your cards. For example if you have 44, the flop comes down 966.

What exactly is the best line to take here? Your hand is good on the flop a good majority of the time, but even with garbage your opponent has a ton of outs and there are a ton of turn cards he can bluff on. I just can't see how check-calling can be profitable even though it intuitively seems standard. Check raising seems a bit expensive and puts you at a loss on what to do on the turn, and betting out is certainly a possibility but just seems a little weak. Is check-folding a possibility? As sick as it sounds I think it might be, it just seems ridiculous to fold when you know you're ahead around 75% of the time on the flop. Its just when you're up against a player capable of firing one or two more barrels, there really aren't a lot of turn and river combinations you can be happy with.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Small pair, common situation

I think you need to be re-raising preflop a decent amount of the time in these situations.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:42 PM

vs a tight villan I will just bet out on the flop and hope to take it down a good % of the time.

vs a LAG/tricky opponent I will re-raise more pre flop

I hate check/calling here, although I think most of us do it at least occasionally.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:01 PM

against a TAG i will sometimes reraise and sometimes fold. i will call in the SB if the BB is loose, and probably check fold that flop.