Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 11:07 PM

Default My worst played hand in a while (Stud 8 30/60)

I probably shouldn't bring my C game when I'm taking a shot when I should be studying, but this game looked too good.

Main villain is Beset, I assume the 2+2 one. When it was shorthanded I saw him play a few hands in which he was overly "creative". Maybe he was on tilt, maybe there's some amazing metagame thing going where I am missing out by not calling checkraises from an open pair with AQ high no draw, maybe Stud 8 isn't his game, maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to get a better grasp on how he was playing, but it looked like he was trying to lose, and there were two others that seemed to be playing a play money style of game, so it was time to sit, boring Japanese Drama midterm tomorrow be damned.

This is rare for a hand I play, I'm not sure I even like 3rd street with the layout of dead cards. 4th my bet was terrible, a check/raise would have done better, just check/calling makes the most sense. My 3bet was complete spew. 5th street WHAT WAS I THINKING HE'S NEVER GOING TO FOLD so I raise anyway. With a pair + low draw I guess this might not be as bad as I originally though. I played sixth street well. WELL LOOK AT THAT I'VE GOT THE TRIPS ON THE RIVER. But, wait, he's still betting when it looks like it was extremely likely for me to have started with split Aces and our other foe was on a flush draw. The river looks fine too I suppose.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (7.67 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

5th Street - (9.83 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (15.83 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (18.83 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

I've edited about 5 times. Originally I didn't hate my 4th street bet as much as I do now and I also thought 5th was terrible, but I'm thinking perhaps I was a bit hard on myself. 4th seems to be my only HORRIBLE play in this hand. 3rd is perhaps questionable. 5th may actually not be bad at all. 6th is fine. River I certainly can't fold and a raise is suicidal. 3rd/5th are possibly the most interesting, as it's fairly obvious how bad I mangled 4th.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:49 PM

Default Re: My worst played hand in a while (Stud 8 30/60)

3rd is fine, K raises adn you have a premium hand...repop it all day!

4th you overplayed IMO. I would definitly bet but when a K raises and then the clubs call I would just call.

5th is very interesting. Arguements could be made for calling or raising. Very close and depends very much on how each opponent plays. I mean, if I know they are both donkeys I would raise but if they are both good I would call.

6th & 7th are duh
Old 11-08-2006, 01:16 AM

C game bad. Very bad. At least my C game is.

If you never raise in a spot like you have on third street, you're going to be too readable at this level. That said, I'd prefer to save this play for a spot where my Ace is completely live. Also, I'd prefer to do it if the game were on the tight side and the guy with the King was the sort who could be moved off of a pair of Kings easily. Since he raised into a couple of Aces and since he may be on tilt, I'm guessing this won't be the case.

You have to bet fourth. If you catch good on fifth, you'll probably buy the pot, and you'll probably want to. The three-bet was perhaps a bit much, but if it's enough to convince the King to fold on fifth, it's worth the extra investment.

Fifth is an interesting situation. I don't think that you're going to get the bettor to fold by raising. I think the main issue is can you knock the third man out, and do you want to? If the Ace paired him, he may not be folding, and if it gave him a good four-card low draw he may not be folding. You might have an equity edge at this point, but I don't think you're leaving gobs of EV on the table if you fail to capitalize on it.

Sixth is a pretty obvious call. I would at least consider raising the river. With all the action he put in on fourth, K7 ought to have two pair or a set. I think we can discount (77)K. With one King gone, he can only be rolled-up one way, and six combinations give him Kings and Sevens. I don't think there's much value in going for the over-call. The third man probably was on a low draw. He won't call if he missed and he won't fold if he hit.

Anyway, this is hardly one to beat yourself up over.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
C game bad. Very bad. At least my C game is.

If you never raise in a spot like you have on third street, you're going to be too readable at this level. That said, I'd prefer to save this play for a spot where my Ace is completely live. Also, I'd prefer to do it if the game were on the tight side and the guy with the King was the sort who could be moved off of a pair of Kings easily. Since he raised into a couple of Aces and since he may be on tilt, I'm guessing this won't be the case.

You have to bet fourth. If you catch good on fifth, you'll probably buy the pot, and you'll probably want to. The three-bet was perhaps a bit much, but if it's enough to convince the King to fold on fifth, it's worth the extra investment.

Fifth is an interesting situation. I don't think that you're going to get the bettor to fold by raising. I think the main issue is can you knock the third man out, and do you want to? If the Ace paired him, he may not be folding, and if it gave him a good four-card low draw he may not be folding. You might have an equity edge at this point, but I don't think you're leaving gobs of EV on the table if you fail to capitalize on it.

Sixth is a pretty obvious call. I would at least consider raising the river. With all the action he put in on fourth, K7 ought to have two pair or a set. I think we can discount (77)K. With one King gone, he can only be rolled-up one way, and six combinations give him Kings and Sevens. I don't think there's much value in going for the over-call. The third man probably was on a low draw. He won't call if he missed and he won't fold if he hit.

Anyway, this is hardly one to beat yourself up over.

[/ QUOTE ]

After thinking it over, I guess it wasn't quite the catastrophe I felt it was immediately after the hand.

Third I almost always reraise here, but as soon as I did I thought about how a few of my good looking cards were dead. That combined with how poorly I thought I played the rest of the hand probably clouded my view.

Fourth I don't think a bet is WOW BAD, but I think that a check/raise is the winningest play here. I'm pretty sure my 3bet did nothing but put more money in while behind.

Fifth was just sort of a reflex raise. If I hadn't spewed 4th I think my 5th street play would be much better.

7th I was just too much of a wimp to raise since I refused to believe how he could continue to bet only Kings up. This is possibly where the fact that 30/60 is too high for me psychologically might kick in, which probably means I shouldn't be playing this level yet.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:57 AM

Seemed like 7th was a pretty obv value bet versus two low draws. nice river. I'd like to say I am good enough to fold when you raise but I can't guarentee it esp if that other donk folds. I think what you saw going on when the game was short-handed involves way too much history to be digestable in 30 hands or whatever if this is the session I think it was.

Also, just a tip, in these games if people don't view you as a little off the rocker, un-predictable, "creative" as you put it, you will never get paid on anything. There are a number of people who try to nit it up in this game to no avail. You have to give some action, value bet thin and end up looking stupid sometimes.

p.s. a sixth st raise would be really sexy.

edit: ignore me.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to say I am good enough to fold when you raise but I can't guarentee it esp if that other donk folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you can possibly fold after I played 6th the way I did, because I'd definitely raise with 6 here always and a 7 probably always.

Even if I had raised sixth I would think you'd have to show down as the pot is quite big and we hadn't played together before.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:34 AM

yeah dude i am way over-tired but for some reason i thought we'd played together. Maybe O8?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah dude i am way over-tired but for some reason i thought we'd played together. Maybe O8?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's possible I guess. I played a bit of 10/20 and 15/30 before realizing how terrible I was. 10/20 Stud 8 or HORSE is possible too if you play that low. I don't really pay much attention to anyone I play with unless they're really bad and I'm planning to follow them like a stalker so I wouldn't be surprised to hear we've been at the same table before.