Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Re: GOP OVERPLAYED HAND WITH GAMBLING BILL

Right, because the Democrats want to pass legislation forcing everyone to be gay. Ideally, they'd like to see mandatory gay abortions, with a celebratory burning of the flag and/or Bible afterwards.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
JDalla,

lol. nice post.

[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, anyone who has become financially successful leans towards voting Republican. Most Americans, when they first get the right to vote, will vote Democrat because the Republicans want to force their moral views down everyone's throat with legislation.

[/ QUOTE ]

... as opposed to the Democrats who want to force their moral views down.... everyone's throat with.... legislation...

[/ QUOTE ]

That post was a joke obviously, but on a more serious note, what moral views do Democrats try to force on people with legislation? I really can't think of any, except bipartisian things like outlawing drugs, prostitution, etc.

It's quite a stretch to call "right to choose" a moral view being forced on people... hence the "choose" part.

Please elaborate.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:59 AM

To a Democrat gun control would be a moral view. To a Republican gun control is having a steady hand and a light trigger.

If the Democrats ever got a clue and embraced the right to own firearms the Republicans would have a hard time winning local elections for dogcatcher.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 AM

I suppose gun control could be seen as a moral view. Good point.

I don't see why either party is so adament about it. on the one hand, it is a "personal freedom," however it has been shown that one is statisticly less safe with a gun in the house (I believe... don't quote me on this one). But Republicans aren't huge on personal freedoms, and Democrats shouldn't care that much anyway cause it's not one of the leading causes of death anyway.

Point is... "X is wrong because it is a sin" is a lot more of a "moral view" than "X is wrong because it isn't safe/ hurts the poor/ is bad for economy, etc. etc."
Old 11-07-2006, 06:37 PM

The poster who stated that most voters sart off as Dem and slowly become more Rep is a lot more on the money than most give him credit here. Something to think about when you are making money off of poker is just how much of my profit is Uncle Sam going to want? And when your vote can directly affect your wallet people tend to vote accordingly.

Just a thought.
p.s. I did vote for some Rep's today but mostly it was a good day for Dem's on my ballot. And this is the first time in my life I have voted for a Dem.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They sure lost one vote here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Even though we can still play poker, for now, I'm still pissed about the bill.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2006, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not just republicans you need to vote against. Here's a list of all Members of the House and how they voted on this bill when it was up by itself.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2006/roll363.xml

90% of Republicans and 60% of Democrats voted for it. Find out where your representative stands on the issue and vote accordingly. It's not a R vs D issue, please get educated.

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a non-issue in a Dem controlled House/Senete. It does have SOMETHING to do with party.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who votes against the republicans because of this bill is an absolute moron. My God do you have any idea how much rides on this election? I LOVE poker, just like everyone here. But I'd rather have lower taxes, feel safe, not have San Francisco views put on me, fight terrorism and have a robust economy, than play online poker. I live in the middle of nowhere West Virginia and even I can find a cash game or tournament every day of the week, sometimes multiple games.

Yeah the ban sucks, but there are WAY more important things on the line than online gambling. Also, I didn't see very many, if any, Dems voting against this or fighting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct. I love the fact that my emails can now be read, my phone conversations can be listened to, and I can be imprisoned without charge or trial because I am a "Terroist". I don't see how I can't vote Republican. By the way. Before this election I've voted for exactly one Democrat in my 22 year voting career.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:54 PM

If the last 6 years doesn't warrant a change in government, then what would it take? Is there even an argument that this was most poorly governed America ever?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To a Democrat gun control would be a moral view. To a Republican gun control is having a steady hand and a light trigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it's a public safety issue.