Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 09:06 PM

Default Re: outdoing tommy, andy fox, and maybe even TxRedMan!

I've heard it said that the only thing worse than bad publicity is no publicity.

I usually am frightened to death when I see my name in a post title. Seeing it there with yours, though, caused a sigh of relief.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Pre-flop and after the flop are seperate decisions"

no

[/ QUOTE ]

I say, yes. Please explain...
Old 11-07-2006, 09:15 PM

i mean, i already explained man, that's what my whole thing was about. RIO are significant. that's why you got to really think about what sort of slippery slope youre walking into preflop sometimes. at least that's the way i like to play now. lower variance, less thin edges, more fear = happier richer mike l.

in other words it's not a +EV preflop call for me if im prone to changing my read on perceived happy flops or getting into messy rio/io problems on drawing flops.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:21 PM

"I usually am frightened to death when I see my name in a post title. Seeing it there with yours, though, caused a sigh of relief."

Well Andy there is definitely some accuracy in mike's post title. He outdid me. Not by folding the jacks. But by talking about it so lucidly and truthfully, and explaining exactly why it could be right to make that fold, when he replied to this...

"You either flop a set and collect a big pot or you miss and fold."

...with this...

"right. except i might decide to call or raise a 9 high flop. because ill like my hand all the sudden. or maybe it comes 3 spades and i have Js. or maybe it comes KQ9 with two suits that i like. or or or. and these things combined happen often enough to matter. and the pot keeps getting bigger and there's someone to act behind me and he's not reading hands as well as i was before the flop so he's raising and im drawing and big pot forming and next thing i know we're at showdown and im calling because im getting x-teen to 1 or whatever and guy shows me what i had known he had in the first place. been there done that. next hand please."

nh
Old 11-07-2006, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"You either flop a set and collect a big pot or you miss and fold."

right. except i might decide to call or raise a 9 high flop. because ill like my hand all the sudden. or maybe it comes 3 spades and i have Js. or maybe it comes KQ9 with two suits that i like. or or or. and these things combined happen often enough to matter. and the pot keeps getting bigger and there's someone to act behind me and he's not reading hands as well as i was before the flop so he's raising and im drawing and big pot forming and next thing i know we're at showdown and im calling because im getting x-teen to 1 or whatever and guy shows me what i had known he had in the first place. been there done that. next hand please.

[/ QUOTE ]

mike,

you play too well to fold because you think it might cause you to play bad postflop. if i was playing the hand these points would be valid, but you're not as dumb as me.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:09 PM

What makes this fold particularly weird is that your read was way off. This guy Andy is notoriously erratic preflop often 3betting with hands like T6s and Q3s in MP. I assume his 4betting standards are tighter but since you were only playing 20 minutes with him, I'm not sure how you were so confident you had him pegged.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:08 AM

"only playing 20 minutes with him, I'm not sure how you were so confident you had him pegged."

is that his name? ive played with him many times before. he tends to be more of a loose caller when he's tilting and losing, he was up like 3-4 racks from the looks of his stack. i watched him fold 99 in the sb for 3 bets when i was sitting in the 8 seat next to him. he is very capable of playing very tight and ive seen him do it repeatedly for long stretches.

the main tell was the way he started talking to the guy on the button in seat 6. i only caught snippets of the dialogue but the look on his face and in his eyes exuded confidence. then when he raised it was that adrenaline filled slam-slam-slam-slam fast 4 bet. this guy plays for ego, if you looked like he does you would too, being decent at poker is his entire life i would bet, and his demeanor oozed AA.

which seat were you?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:53 AM

I agree that your read is probley right but is it totally impossible for this guy to have AK suited or say QQ which still has you dominated but like you said, you have 5 to 1 plus implied odds. I don’t think you’re out of line in calling especially if you hit the board. You can exploit his cockiness and take 1 or 2 extra bets off him. I think you’re a pretty good expert at this by the way. Besides a set, you have other outs as well, remember your runner runners. That’s what I would do, but then again I’m JV. =)

-Crazy Mike
Old 11-08-2006, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i get JJ today in the 1-2 at commerce. i raise mp, button who is loose passive 3 bets, short asian guy who is tight with raises and who folded 99 to a 3 bet in the sb earlier starts talking all cocky like to the button and saying stuff like whatre you gonna do if i 4 bet. he's relishing the moment i gather. then he 4 bets. i fold, getting 5 to 1 plus implied odds should i flop a set, but not caring because im certain im against AA or maybe KK and dont want to be bothered with such technicalities.

how bad is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

txredman folds

txredman limped aces last year

tex will never live down that post

flawlwess victory is a tool
Old 11-08-2006, 03:46 PM

I figured you already explained this. Just probing for more, cuz I don't agree with it. Variance sucks, but thin edges should be exploited. And fear has no place in poker.

Anyway, I'll be back in town playing that game in a few weeks. Look forward to meeting and playing with you. Does Eva still play every day?