Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Re: ask me about: hustling golf

[ QUOTE ]
Im currently pretty damn bad at golf, I plan on spending this winter learning how to play well, Id rather play the game to learn how to hustle, rather than just to play (i have a few books, hence why Ive heard of terrence). Is there anything I should be doing different during the learning process?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes,

#1: find players that are worse than you
#2: find players who's "pocket change" is your "big money"
#2a: find players who cant handle pressure/steam
#3: learn every bet/every type of bet and determine what are the best ways to structure these bets to compliment your game/handicap your opponents game
#4: fall in love w/ your putter and 60 wedge, never change them, sleep w/ them, have a nasty all input 3way orgie w/them if necessary.
#5: win the match before you start, take all the pressure off yourself, then just play golf and settle up at the end.
#6: golf tip: the object of golf isnt hitting the ball its hitting the target. focus only on the final result you wish to achieve.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

as far as being good at golf. i have a huslers game, i.e i chip and put extremely well. what this does is make me look lucky. i can bomb a 300 drive but i wouldnt. that is equated w/ GOOD. getting up and down at precise moments or never 3 putting will fly under the radar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this makes so much sense it's scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Great tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true and there is a bit more to it even. I knew a guy who played great and would often take down the money. He was this type of player, i.e. GREAT short game, not as good ball striking. Rumor had it some tour pros paid him in money games. He wasn't exactly hustling, it was just his game. He won things like state opens, so wasn't unknown. But ti wouldn't surprise me if he got more action that he otherwise might have because you wouldn't ooh and ahh over his game. Made miles of putts.

The other thing the style does is put a lot of pressure on mentally weak people in matches. At my very best I didn't gamble much and wasn't very good, maybe a 4 or 5 who couldn't possibly play to scratch, this was as a junior. But I chipped and putted well. Sometimes in matches a guy would get frustrated because he would bomb it out there and hit a short iron into the green and 3 putt. If you scuff it around and then make a great up and down they almost feel cheated. It is great. You can sometimes beat a better player this way. A good player or mentally strong player won't be bothered though.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:06 PM

I thought this thread was going to be something along the lines off...

"Oh, OK I guess I'll play the back nine left handed if you give me 2 shots a hole" or something along those lines.

I dont know if simply playing golf against people who suck qualifies you as a hustler. Yeah, they dont know you are good blah blah but the same is true for poker. Are sucsessfu poker players 'hustlers'? Maybe I am associating the word hustler with a negative conotation but whatever...give me an example of your hustle bro!

Also, if you are a four handicap and you consider your short game to be your biggest strength I highly doubt you have encountered many people who are going to beat you simply because they have an amazing putting stroke. I mean serouisly, wtf, are you playing mini-golf or something?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:09 PM

anyone can answer, what is sandbagging?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wasn't very good, maybe a 4 or 5

[/ QUOTE ]
You make me sick.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The other thing the style does is put a lot of pressure on mentally weak people in matches. At my very best I didn't gamble much and wasn't very good, maybe a 4 or 5 who couldn't possibly play to scratch, this was as a junior. But I chipped and putted well. Sometimes in matches a guy would get frustrated because he would bomb it out there and hit a short iron into the green and 3 putt. If you scuff it around and then make a great up and down they almost feel cheated. It is great. You can sometimes beat a better player this way. A good player or mentally strong player won't be bothered though.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, this is it. it will get people to steam it will give you psychological ascendency. they will say to themselves, "how am i losing to this guy?" instead of saying, "this guy is a machine"
Old 11-07-2006, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if simply playing golf against people who suck qualifies you as a hustler.

[/ QUOTE ]
You might as well hire a plane to drag around a banner that says I DIDN'T READ THIS THREAD AND/OR I SUCK AT READING COMPREHENSION.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone can answer, what is sandbagging?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing off a higher handicap than you actually are. Which is why playing for other than nominal stakes you need to take what anybody says is their handicap with many grains of salt.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:15 PM

My problem now is I chip and putt horribly, so I ask myself how I am losing to myself. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2006, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you scuff it around and then make a great up and down they almost feel cheated. It is great. You can sometimes beat a better player this way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, this could also be known as "playing against 60 YO guys who play every day at their country club". It's the golf equivalent of losing on the river hole after hole, and tilt can definitely result. It's so [censored] frustrating to feel so far ahead as the old guy slaps it 180 yards up the fairway shot after shot and then owns with the short game.