Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 08:48 PM

Default ATs in SB - $225 at Commerce

$225 NLHE this Saturday at Commerce. The Button has lost a couple hands recently and looks pretty resigned to loosing. Big Blind is pretty new to the table but is middle aged asian guy who seems pretty solid (not drinking).

The blinds are at 100/200. Hero is SB with t2800, Button is short stack with t800, BB has t2000.

Blinds post and pot = t300.
Button pushes all in for t800.
Hero in SB sees AT[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and calls t700 more.
BB pushes all in for t1800.
Total pot is t3600 and it's t1000 more for Hero to call.
Easy call or easy fold?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Re: ATs in SB - $225 at Commerce

This hand is mostly about lowering your variance by freezing the BB out.

I think this is a pretty clear push over the button's all in. His range is huge, you're a big favorite over the BB's random hand, and you aren't folding for the other 1200 the BB has, so why would you give him a chance to make a stupid play and get lucky on you w/ like KQ or some such hand?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is mostly about lowering your variance by freezing the BB out.

I think this is a pretty clear push over the button's all in. His range is huge, you're a big favorite over the BB's random hand, and you aren't folding for the other 1200 the BB has, so why would you give him a chance to make a stupid play and get lucky on you w/ like KQ or some such hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

If I know that BB is decent, I'm just calling with ATs here a lot to INDUCE the KQ iso, not pushing myself to avoid it.

We've gotten into this debate a million times here the last couple months about iso'ing in the SB vs calling to induce (and it's ALWAYS been with AT), and I think if you have any read that BB will iso light, it's an easy play.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:02 PM

I personally prefer to take the chance against the button where if I lose I'll still have some FE, then against the BB where if I lose I'll be crippled. I think this is a situation that will never come to a conclusion. If I play it the way hero played it, it's obv obv obv an insta call, OBV.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:06 PM

Only reason I may side with you on this case is because it's live and live donkament players don't like RISKING THEIR TOURNAMENT LIFE etc etc

if this is any online tournament with a decent field, or just a decent bb, it's call/call tho
Old 11-07-2006, 12:35 PM

I forget to mention that the levels only lasted 30 minutes, so we were all in a little bit of a hurry to accumulate chips. I wasn't sure how often I'm dominated in this spot. I calculated my hand vs. Button likely pushing hands - Any Ace, any pair, and T9o or bigger cards; and BB over pushing hands - 99+, AT+, KQ, and my hand is still almost 30% to win so this is a call. Are my hand ranges too loose or about right?