Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 10:30 PM

Default NLHETAP: Stack size and absolute vs. relative position

I'm a bit of a noob/small stakes grinder, so please check my logic here.

I am a little surprised that there is no mention of stack size in the Absolute and Relative Position chapter of NLHETAP. It seems to me that with shorter stacks of say 40BBs Relative position is the most important of the two considerations, because of a likely check raise all in on the flop, whereas with deeper stacks of around 200BBs the scale would be tilted more towards absolute position as the most important consideration, since the turn and river are likely to be the most important streets. I'm not saying relative position considerations wouldn't be meaningful here. I just think one of the greatest strengths of NLHETAP is all the discussion of stack size considerations, so I was a little surprised there wasn't any in this chapter.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:13 AM

Default Re: NLHETAP: Stack size and absolute vs. relative position

Relative position was first described in the Ciaffone/Reuben book. It is a multiway concept. It has nothing to do with stack sizes and everything to do with your position vis a vis the preflop raiser.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:20 PM

I'm not sure what is meant by the phrase "multiway concept". I understand that relative position is about your position as regards the preflop raiser. I was only asking if its importance as a consideration when entering a pot preflop would vary with stack size.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what is meant by the phrase "multiway concept". I understand that relative position is about your position as regards the preflop raiser. I was only asking if its importance as a consideration when entering a pot preflop would vary with stack size.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there are three (or more) players in the pot and the aggressor is on your left, then you can check to him. If he bets you get to see what the other players do before you act. If the aggressor is on your right and bets, you have to make a decision not knowing what the other players will do.

Heads-up you don't have this concern.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:21 AM

To clarify:

I have KcQc on the button. UTG+1 limps. The cutoff on my right makes it 4BBs to go. My absolute position is great. My relative position is terrible. To my thinking, I should be more apt to call with a 200BB stack than with a 40BB stack (assuming my opponents also have deep stacks). Am I wrong here?