Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 01:56 PM

Default Is the turn raise correct here?

No reads(first 5 hands)

PokerRoom 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 11-06-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Is the turn raise correct here?

with no read i assume loose predictable opponent at this limit. turn donk prolly means he has a king or better and puts u on a flush draw or an ace and wants u to charge max.

i ve seen this play too often. only tenacious donkers will donk here flush draw or less than king. i make immidiately a note if i see someone pulling this move.

sometimes they have less then king here, but raising turn doesnt warrant those times imho.

did he have better king?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:50 PM

It's always hard to evaluate donks without previous hands.
In this hand I think the most probable reason to the donk is that he has picked up Two pair on turn and therefore I'm not that fond of the turn raise since many players 3-bets you if they picked up two pair or better.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:05 PM

This is not a bad hand to just call down with. SB may be betting the flop with a better King and while the board is draw-y, it may not be too bad in a smallish pot to let others come in behind you since they will often be drawing thin to the hand you have an will pad the pot for you those times that you are drawing. The presence of the backdoor flush draw makes me dislike the flop raise a little less but I would probably just call the flop here.

After SB bets the turn again (and you did not improve and your draws fell away) I think you can just fold. Without a read to the contrary, I think SB will usually have at least a better King. If you are to suspicious in the absence fo a read that he could just be ebtting middle pair or something then call him down. However, I think a raise here is bad, even if it is meant as a "free" showdown raise. The only hands he might fold when you are ahead are ones that you want to keep betting. When you are behind villain is like never folding. Plus, there is a risk of a three-bet when he has 2 pair or better. Also, you are not going to improve on the river very often.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:38 PM

I tend to call down from the turn donk, and raise if I improve.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:01 PM

He had K6o
Old 11-06-2006, 05:28 PM

I call turn/raise river. Stinks because If I raise turn and he 3 bets I tell myself he is on the draw. 2 pairs I raise turn.

River is a raise.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:24 PM

Just call the turn donk. When you make 2 pair on the river, raise, otherwise just call down.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just call the turn donk. When you make 2 pair on the river, raise, otherwise just call down.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2006, 12:56 AM

I like raising the turn with UTG there and checking the river through ui. His play is most likely a king or a 2nd pair or some combo fd+pair. It's also very easy to fold to a 3 bet here so I raise to put pressure on UTG and because I think we're still ahead of SB enough to do it.