Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Here\'s a hand.

I've gone entire months losing or breaking even because of players hitting weird draws that make no sense.

Though as you said earlier, this hand isn't the whole problem. Its not just the pots you lose that you played correctly that is your problem... You said you tilted off another couple of buyins.

If I tilt off even 1 buyin, I probably step away.

When I'm running bad, I still review my hands and count how many pots I played poorly. I'm pretty angry at myself if there's more then 2 big pots that I played horribly.

This hand if you get a good amount in preflop (and the idiot who minraised opened the door for you to get it all in) you cannot feel poorly about this hand.

To say that quicker- If you get it all in (or a substantial amount in) as the favorite preflop... its up to the cards. You're playing it correctly.

You should be posting the hands where the errors may have been made postflop.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:38 PM

Agreed, you said its time to start improving your game, and then you go and post a hand like this where u were obviously a favorite and got outdrawn. I get the feeling you posted this hand for us to tell you you played correct and got unlucky.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed, you said its time to start improving your game, and then you go and post a hand like this where u were obviously a favorite and got outdrawn. I get the feeling you posted this hand for us to tell you you played correct and got unlucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

In some ways yes I wanted to hear that but also I think my play is fairly off the mark all the way down to pre flop decisions. Here is something I'm wondering about.

My normal experience where I make a raise preflop and get minraised, I don't put it all in pre right away with a AA-KK because the players at FT 10 NL tend to do things like min re-raise/fold to all in. Clearly we want them to call a PF push with AA/KK but if we are certain they are usually folding, is it still best to put it in anyways or just put in a decent sized 3 bet instead?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In some ways yes I wanted to hear that but also I think my play is fairly off the mark all the way down to pre flop decisions. Here is something I'm wondering about.

My normal experience where I make a raise preflop and get minraised, I don't put it all in pre right away with a AA-KK because the players at FT 10 NL tend to do things like min re-raise/fold to all in. Clearly we want them to call a PF push with AA/KK but if we are certain they are usually folding, is it still best to put it in anyways or just put in a decent sized 3 bet instead?

[/ QUOTE ]
Downrock, there's math behind a lot of this, and you might get up the curve a lot faster if you dig into some of it. E.g., if you reraise someone pf with AA/KK, and you make the reraise big enough that they're calling with implied odds of less than 10:1 or so, then you have almost certainly killed their odds for playing to hit a set (and a pair is the best hand they can hope to have in that situation). So all you have to do is make sure your raise is big enough, and long term you're +EV for the whole hand, even if you go to the felt every time -- because you already spoiled their odds, and they already made their fundamental mistake, before the flop.

From reading some of your posts, it seems like a lot of this would click for you a lot faster if you knew some of the numbers of the game better (apologies if you already do).
Old 11-06-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

From reading some of your posts, it seems like a lot of this would click for you a lot faster if you knew some of the numbers of the game better (apologies if you already do).

[/ QUOTE ]

By no means do I extensively know how to apply the odds in NL, this is good advice, thanks.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:49 PM

When you have 3-4 people in the hand, you don't want to be minraising. And, If you take 30-40 bbs down preflop without seeing a flop, that's fine! Free money.

Frankly, I like to teach people not to minraise me. If you're going to minraise me, I'm going to punish you for it. Minraising someone does not punish them.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:54 PM

Try posting a hand where you actually played really badly, or were uncertain what to do.

This is BBV.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:00 PM

Raise is too small preflop (first one is fine), after all the callers and the donk raise, Id push or atleast make it $5 to go. get the re-raiser heads up, keep the fish from schooling up.