Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 03:56 PM

Default Here\'s a hand.

Enough with my complaining for now, I'm sure everyone is sick of it and it's time for me to get started on improving my game rather than complaining about my disgusting run. Here is a hand with some relative unknowns, just wanting some critique on my preflop play and advice on my move on flop.

Preflop 3 bet not enough? where to go on this semi ugly flop being first to act?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $9.70
UTG+1: $14.45
CO: $3.50
Button: $7.30
Hero: $10.20
BB: $2.65

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.55</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $1.1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB calls all-in $2.1</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Button calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($13.7, 3 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $11.15, Sidepot 1: $2.55)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero...
Old 11-06-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Here\'s a hand.

BTW this may seem like a simple hand to most, but its the sort of thing im stacking myself on. I would greatly appreciate it if any glaring errors could be pointed out to me, it won't hurt my feelings.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:04 PM

Push flop. Pre Flop is good with all of those people in the pot.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:08 PM

Your only error is not pushing preflop.

Look at this:
You raise to .55... you have 3 callers, so the pot is $2.25 (I'm assuming there was blinds here)

The next idiot raises it to $1.10??? (pot of now $3.35).. and you reraise to $3.5? You want to RAISE the pot here. If you called the pot would be $4.35 - so to raise the pot here would be $8.70.

Don't minraise.

If you lost to someone who got it in PF, that's just variance.

I am pretty inexperienced myself, but, I'd raise to $0.8 the first time it gets to you preflop (4BB + 1BB/limper). The button limp/re-raised you, which usually means a big hand, but that would be a weird way to play it fourth in. Anyways, as is, I think I would just push instead of re-raising to $3.5. There is already $3.5 in the middle, and all those short stack are going to call with half their stack already in the middle.

I'm going to assume you got sucked out on by your post...but you have to push on this flop. no flush draws, and there shouldn't be any straight draws with all that preflop action.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:10 PM

I'd raise more pre flop. .90 or $1, you are out of position so i add a little to the 4xbb +1 rule.

I'd reraise more too, you have plenty of dead money in th pot and people like their hands, especially the button with his LRR. With a bigger first raise, it's an easy push.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:12 PM

Ye, pushing preflop is good, but as played push the flop too. If anyone hit their set here they played badly and you got unlucky, such is poker.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:14 PM

Yeah, I did get sucked out on, but not the way I was expecting. Seems I should have put it all in preflop. I did end up putting it all in on the flop as an 88% favourite, called by two AK and a JT and the JT proceeded to hit a running straight, nothing I can do obviously there. Regardless I should have put it in on the flop and thats what sort of info I was looking for. As played though it seems my push on flop was the play to make. Thanks guys.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:17 PM

Your 2nd preflop raise looks a little light, make it closer to pot-sized.

Easy flop push, your remaining stack is about a 1/2-pot bet. No way you should be folding, so just stick it in.

Finally, recognize that with 4 to the flop, you're probably losing this hand &gt;50% of the time (not sure, someone can look it up). But you don't care: because of the size of the payoff, it's still easy +EV.