Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 12:47 AM

Default Re: My God the Chargers look good

I would put Colts, NE, and Denver ahead of Chargers right now. I think the Chargers match up well with NE and Colts, and they could even win on the road against them as they have shown recently. Against Denver, Chargers can beat them at home, probably easier than either NE or Colts. At Denver, Chargers are in trouble.

Colts have trouble vs. SD pass rush and running game, even at home where the turf makes Chargers even better in these areas. Chargers more talented than NE no matter where they play, not better (Coach and Brady), but they played well and crushed at NE last year. At Denver, in the cold on that crappy field with those fans, not looking good. Bring Denver to the Q and see a fired up Bolts team take it to division rival.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can your coach actually win a playoff game?

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as the opposing QB isn't John Elway--hopefully we're safe on that front.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think with Grossman falling apart vs good teams

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I over-hyped Rivers maybe a wee bit earlier, and forgive me for that. I see Manning and Brady on TV, and then I go see Rivers live and Rivers is sweet, but these guys are just dominant. Rivers is nice, in a Ray Allen way, but he not Jordan, not yet, perhaps never, the odds are against it, but who can say?

That said, I have seen Grossman play only 3 times. This year, vs Vikings, vs Sea, vs. Arizona. I saw the highlights of the loss today vs. Miami. I have seen every pass from Rivers in his career, preseason and regular season.

I have never seen Rivers throw a ball, never, that looks anywhere near as bad as the crap I've seen from Grossman at least 20 times. Grossman is young, he can get better. I like some of his aggressiveness and self-confidence. But if you wanna have a Brett Favre head and a Brett Favre heart, you better make damn well sure you got a Brett Favre cannon.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you wanna have a Brett Favre head and a Brett Favre heart, you better make damn well sure you got a Brett Favre cannon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 PM

Bolts Brief: Injuries Suck Edition

Midseason, so all teams are dinged, including visiting Chargers and Cincinnati. Just when DE Igor Olshansky returns, DE Castillo is OUT. With Merriman gone and Phillips returning, left side is now out, but the right side is back. Castillo's backup, D. Robinson is also hurt, listed as questionable.

The offensive line for Cinncy is in bad shape, with two starters out. RB Rudi Johnson will play (thigh-probable). On D, middle linebacker is doubtful.

Bengals will try some off tackle strong side power running with Rudi, behind the heathly part of O-line and into the corresponding injured part of D-line. Charger linebackers Godfrey and back-flipping Harris should be able to clog that hole, especially if Rudi Johnson is a little gimpy. Godfrey is a strong vet who can play run, Harris looks ready to go, albeit kinda small. Injury to center hurts Bengals, with big Jamal Williams clogging middle and Igor on other side vs. backup tackle, probably not going to that side.

But Cinny is more vertical, and with 3 wideouts that are big and fast, this is a bad matchup for Bolts. Charger's must hope to rush passer, Palmer not as mobile or confident as last year. No Merriman, but blind side should be open (Phillips and injuries).

Chargers have no excuses offensively, they are averaging 38 ppg over last 4, and should score 30 plus Sunday. I look at this game as a test for Chargers. They have Denver next week, and need to prove that they can go on the road and win against a team that has playoff aspirations. Its crunch time for 4-4 Bengals who look to put their dissention behind them and play better.

I haven't even looked at the betting lines. I've been right with the over, so I'll go with it no matter what, but I'll bet its high. If Chargers go 1-1 over the next two games, with soft schedule, they are Contenders in my book. If they go 0-2, they are pretenders.

Either way, Raider nation comes to town for next home game. That'll be fun. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2006, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But Cinny is more vertical, and with 3 wideouts that are big and fast, this is a bad matchup for Bolts. Charger's must hope to rush passer, Palmer not as mobile or confident as last year. No Merriman, but blind side should be open (Phillips and injuries).

[/ QUOTE ]

So Phillips played well, lined up on left side and had that sack-forced fumble-recovery in 3rd that set up Chargers 1st and goal, and LT gave them the lead. Other than that, no real pass rush on Palmer, need to get everyone back.

Last night, Ron Jaworski said that Palmer is fine, after reviewing the coach's tape on NFL live. Said that fans should calm down, his mechanics are good. Heh. I guess so.

Big wideouts, plenty of time, good quarterback, a recipe for some big numbers. (Palmer 31-42 440!! CJ 11 for team record 260) But you know what?, Charger's D came through in the 4th when they got the lead. I would rather them do that, then play great all game like vs. Baltimore, and then give up the final drive.

Rivers 24-36 337 3 TD 0 Ints. His best game by far as a pro. LT 4 TDs sure, but only 104 yards, overrated. He was stopped by the end zone all day.

Looks like Denver is coming back. Glad KC lost, those cockroaches were starting to worry me.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LT 4 TDs sure, but only 104 yards, overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should prob wait till he isn't playing like the best RB in the league for 5weeks to say that, before this monster month, he was pretty average, though right now he's playing better than everyone at RB
Old 11-12-2006, 08:04 PM

My LT comments stem from the top ten NFL players thread a few weeks back. Comments like "overrated", and "any back can do what LT does or at least come close", etc. I responded at the time in this thread that I disagreed. I agree that he played average after 4 games. He does have something of a track record of superior play, IMO, but others seem to disagree. I think you can't judge his value on the numbers alone.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But you know what?, Charger's D came through in the 4th when they got the lead. I would rather them do that, then play great all game like vs. Baltimore, and then give up the final drive.

[/ QUOTE ]
The above sentences are dumb. No defense would rather give up 41 points instead of 16.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But you know what?, Charger's D came through in the 4th when they got the lead. I would rather them do that, then play great all game like vs. Baltimore, and then give up the final drive.

[/ QUOTE ]
The above sentences are dumb. No defense would rather give up 41 points instead of 16.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said that "I would rather". This is a subjective feeling on my part which values victory and coming through in the clutch over statistics and choking. I am not a fantasy player. I could care less about LT running stats in first 4 games, or Chargers defensive rankings.

"You play to win the game"