Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Will the rake eventually disapear ?

Look up the history of failed sites like zerorake.com, and then you'll see why Riddick is correct.

[ QUOTE ]
Price awareness is almost nonexistent in most of the online poker world in my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-01-2006, 07:00 PM

Your assumption of 'no great barriers for new ventures to enter the market' is wrong in real terms. monetarily, yes this may be true for the most part.

The great barrier to entry is player base.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:57 AM

You should take into consideration that higher rake allows the company to spend more on marketing. This way the site can reach more conusmers and more fish come to the site who attract more sharks. Also, the site with more rake can provide more gifts, bonuses, freerolls to the players so it might be more entertaining to casual players. Right now it is extremely hard to attract players to a brand new site, so I do not believe that the rakefree model will be widespread in the near future. This has been discussed in the internet gambling forum, so do a search or crosspost the discussion.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:14 PM

Based on the number of posts you are right I am wrong(earlier post). You will likely get massive interest, free advertising, just by going no rake (see the # of posts). This also happended with Ameritrade Freetrade.com (0 commision broker). They got massive free advertising on message boards. Then when they corraled enough suckers (me), they converted all the accounts to izone.com which charges a normal commission. You might be able to pull the same stunt with 0 rake poker.

Whenever some doofus posts where should I gamble on a message board the answer will be the 0 rake poker site. When you have your tables full convert to a rake site. People will not go through the trouble of quitting.