Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 11:16 AM

Default Re: The official Borat Movie Thread

[ QUOTE ]

The best is his sister taunting his retarded brother in his cage- "You will never get this"- "but one day he does get out of his cage, and he does get this."

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG I nearly peed myself at that moment - how could I forget? Amazing line, perfect delivery.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I snuck in to the Fenway 10pm showing and sat on the stairs. That scene at the end HAD to have been staged. There is no way he avoids jail time if it wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says he didn't go to jail? I'm guessing he had to get bailed out a minimum of 5 times while making this movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt he did any time, it would take about 30 sec of explaining what he's doing for his movie before everyone just goes with it and accepts what he's doing as comedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) SBC's fiance is good friends with Anderson.
2) SBC crashed Anderson's dog's wedding 2 years ago dressed as Borat, this was well reported. Anderson knows who Borat is so she was at least partially in on the joke.
3) In order for the film to be shown Anderson has to sign a release, and of course get paid. They probably set up the sceen and got the release signed way in advance so SBC can pull the sack out on her when she was completely unaware.The look on her face was most likely real, she knew something was about to go down from past experience and she didn't like it. The is no way she knew about the sack!
4) ALL of the "actors" have to sign releases. So every one who was fooled were great sports about it after the fact.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

PS: I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Kazakhstan! My coworker has to go to her cousin's wedding in Uzbekistan, after seeing the movie she no refuses to go. She keeps saying Azzholes Uzbekistan over and over again. lol
Old 11-05-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4) ALL of the "actors" have to sign releases. So every one who was fooled were great sports about it after the fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its my understanding that, as the premise is Borat is filming a documentary about the USA, the "filmmakers" told the people appearing in the film that this was a legitimate documentary being shot by a legitimate foreign TV host and they were then convinced to sign release forms couched in the vaguest possible terms *before* the scenes were shot.

A number of people are pissed and the possibility of legal action, especially as the film rakes in cash, may result in a legal test to the release.

How people were duped, some of whom are unhappy

Another how I was duped story
Old 11-05-2006, 01:08 PM

The move was very good. Hilarious at time and certain scenes. It wasn't anything revolutionary, some scenes were very forced, and it doesn't reach the level of hype and praise that it received in the last couple of days.

But it was excellent.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:20 PM

the RV scene made me think of OOT.....
Old 11-05-2006, 01:21 PM

Saw the flick last night; I think it's hysterical.

I like when they're at dinner and he says the guys back at home would go crazy over you two, you (the other lady) not so much!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saw the flick last night; I think it's hysterical.

I like when they're at dinner and he says the guys back at home would go crazy over you two, you (the other lady) not so much!

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of reminds me of the Ali G scene where he goes to a fox hunt. He turns to a woman on a horse and says "are you the fox?", then turns to another and says "well, your not".
Old 11-05-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The skits are funny, but given the reviews and reactions this movie was getting, I thought it would be different. I remember the first time I saw the Ali G show, I thought it was amazing and told everyone about it when it was first getting popular in the US and A. I feel like most of the critics had limited exposure to the show, and so for them, this movie was that amazing experience of first seeing it.

It was funny, but is it "the funniest movie of all time", as TIME magazine asked? As Bruno would say, "Thats a nisch nisch." I am extremely dissapointed.

Also, tons of it seemed/was staged.

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this straight:

1) Because the critics "have had limited exposure to" Borat, makes them over-rate how funny he is? I think what you are trying to imply is that because YOU've seen Borat MORE than some critics, YOU are now under-rating how funny he is. Am I close?

2) Never go into a movie expecting the "funniest movie of all time". No matter what somebody in a magazine says. It usually takes a movie a good 5-10 years to marinate before the public can rightfully place it on a ranking list.

3) "Tons of it seemed staged"? So? You do what you gotta do. In this day-and-age, this is about as far as you can push the envelope in a mass-screening R (or less) rated movie.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno how they handle say the people on the subway and stuff, but all the major interviews and "scenes" the victim signs the waiver before borat ever even gets there.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:35 PM

The film is quality, one of the few times I've ever laughed all the way through a film in a cinema. I couldn't believe some of what was shown - any idea how much was cut for American audiences? In the "3 minute scene" here parts of the picture were covered with black rectangles, it didn't seem much longer than 3 minutes though, so it doesn't sound like you could have missed too much.