Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 08:55 PM

Default Internet Help please

Whenever I use the Internet these days, whether for gaming or general surfing, there's a period at least once an hour when it just completely cuts out and stops working. This is seriously annoying, especially when I'm gaming or pokering.

I'm 90% sure it's due to my ISP, but is there anything I could be doing wrong on my end that's messing it up? This only started 3 days ago.

I'm running a desktop connected through a wireless router, it's not the wireless strength, as it's very good to excellent all the time. It's not my computer, as the same things happen when I use a laptop on the network, and I've reset the modem and checked the wires numerous times between the modem and the router.

Help please!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Internet Help please

Kind of a long shot..but who is your ISP?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:06 PM

You read the FAQ, right? When "your internet" "cuts out", what specific part of the IP process doesn't work?
-Sam
Old 11-04-2006, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kind of a long shot..but who is your ISP?

[/ QUOTE ]

non-US

[ QUOTE ]
You read the FAQ, right? When "your internet" "cuts out", what specific part of the IP process doesn't work?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's hard to check this, as the random cut outs are, well, random, and range in time. At the moment it's working perfectly, but in 10 min it will probably cut out for about a minute.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:22 AM

At the very least, find out your router's IP (likely 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) and set a ping going from your machine to the router. Also setup a ping from your machine to 4.2.2.1. (It's some DNS server somewhere with an easily remembered IP.)

When you reset the router, are you talking about DURING an outage? I'd be interested to hear whether reseting the router DURING an outage makes any difference. Ditto with the modem.
-Sam
Old 11-05-2006, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you reset the router, are you talking about DURING an outage? I'd be interested to hear whether reseting the router DURING an outage makes any difference. Ditto with the modem.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because usually I'm too pissed off at the outage and don't have time to get downstairs to the modem and router in time to reset it before it becomes right again.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:06 AM

Ok, I tried resetting during an outage and nothing changed after.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:35 PM

u sure ur getting an excellent signal from the modem even during the outage?? also, try using an E-cable to see if it's the wireless connection or something else...also, maybe reinstalling the software for the modem might not be such a bad idea...
Old 11-05-2006, 12:42 PM

Doh. Those pings aren't DURING an outage, are they? Sorry, when you setup the ping, put a "-t" at the end, so it keeps going. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] We care about what they look like during an outage.

I expect at least the real-world ping will fail during the outage. The router one probably will fail as well.
-Sam
Old 11-05-2006, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
u sure ur getting an excellent signal from the modem even during the outage?? also, try using an E-cable to see if it's the wireless connection or something else...also, maybe reinstalling the software for the modem might not be such a bad idea...

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not the wireless, because I've tried it hooked up just to the modem and it fails then too.