Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 02:09 AM

Default Re: How is it possible for Doyle\'s room to remain open?

[ QUOTE ]
So why is a career professional supposed to work on that instead of drugs or securities fraud?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there is a new law and a few noob 1st or 2nd year prosecutors are going to be told to see what they can do with it.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doyle doesn't own Doyle's Room. He gets paid for the use of his name and image, which is not illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some prosecutors might disagree. I'd say that as time goes on we might see a further crackdown with various factions of the government chasing after celebrity sponsors ala Doyle. I hope this doesn't occur, but its within the realm of possible.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The feds going after Doyle Brunson would be the best thing for poker. You'd hear a rallying cry from our community like never before!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-05-2006, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Some prosecutors might disagree. I'd say that as time goes on we might see a further crackdown with various factions of the government chasing after celebrity sponsors ala Doyle. I hope this doesn't occur, but its within the realm of possible.

[/ QUOTE ] I disagree with this. As I see it, this whole bill was pure politics, and the last thing the Republicans want to do is bring it greater attention, which going after a well known public figure would do. I think it's enough for Frist to be able to preach to his choir that he stopped gambling, while at the same time hoping a lot of poker players don't vote. Any more publicity at this point could hurt them as much as it helps them. And the worst thing they could do (and thus the best for us), would be to go after someone like Doyle, who everybody loves.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doyle doesn't own Doyle's Room. He gets paid for the use of his name and image, which is not illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. He does own it. In an interview in one of the poker magazines a few months ago, he said he was considering selling it because it takes up so much of his time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So why is a career professional supposed to work on that instead of drugs or securities fraud?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there is a new law and a few noob 1st or 2nd year prosecutors are going to be told to see what they can do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way they will get some of there best lawyers and find a case where a drug dealer/pimp/wife beater/bank robber etc that was also caught playing online poker with a stolen credit card etc.

This way they make case precedence at the local court level, then they hope it gets appealed and then they can win in the higher courts and make a new precedence at that level.

These people are not stupid and they will start with the worst of the worst offenders and cherry pick these cases before going after the rest.

I personally don’t fell they will. If they do they won’t start with some-one like Doyle etc.

To answer the why would a lawyer would be bothered to do this.
1) They get paid regardless of the case.
2) The politicians who want this will owe them big time
3) They will make legal precedence.
4) Etc….

This is not legal advise [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2006, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. He does own it. In an interview in one of the poker magazines a few months ago, he said he was considering selling it because it takes up so much of his time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source?

[/ QUOTE ]

He says he wants to sell, about halfway down the article

Anyone know if he did?
Old 11-06-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the ultimate goal is to sell it, because it is just too much work for me at my age. They keep me going all of the time, and I would kind of like to relax. I am sure I will have to sign some sort of personal service contract, but it will be less demanding than what I am doing now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't say that he owns it. Note the pronoun "they."
Old 11-06-2006, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the ultimate goal is to sell it, because it is just too much work for me at my age. They keep me going all of the time, and I would kind of like to relax. I am sure I will have to sign some sort of personal service contract, but it will be less demanding than what I am doing now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't say that he owns it. Note the pronoun "they."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are lots of pronouns here,

[ QUOTE ]
DB: The poker room is just growing unbelievably. It's probably the fastest-growing poker room; we've grown 20 percent per month since we started nearly two years ago. I think the ultimate goal is to sell it, because it is just too much work for me at my age. They keep me going all of the time, and I would kind of like to relax. I am sure I will have to sign some sort of personal service contract, but it will be less demanding than what I am doing now.

[/ QUOTE ]

such as we, I, they, and it for example. Oh, there are verbs, too! Can you list some verbs?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The feds going after Doyle Brunson would be the best thing for poker. You'd hear a rallying cry from our community like never before!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-08-2006, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no cry when the SEC open their investigation of him, our community has it's head up it's collective ass. A few posts later nobody will care, we are all too self centered.