Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Play a hand with BD, version 1

[ QUOTE ]
This shows a bad understanding of poker strategy. Your preflop actions determine how your hand will play out. You make more of them than any other type of action. Limping pre is really much better than raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

We could argue all day whether to raise AJs in position 3x the BB or limp. Both are viable plays. I am a competant player at the $150-$250 SNG's, I dont need a lesson on basic preflop poker strategy. I'm trying to trigger some discussion postflop, if you would care to join me.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the payout?

[/ QUOTE ]

1200-600-200. So 60/30/10.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little confused about the action (your second post). You should have position on UTG+1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew somethin did not feel right. Thought I was last to act on the flop. Sorry about that.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG +1 checks, Hero checks

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets t125, UTG +1 folds, Hero?

Note: This makes a c-bet on the flop a little bit more desirable, although I still feel a check is the proper play. It doesnt change the turn much.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
120-60-20. So 60/30/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steeper payout make me even more inclined to raise preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG +1 checks, Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two checks to me in position make me want to c-bet most always. The outs to the Tens make me think a little about taking a free one, but Tc is pretty crappy anyway, so that's just 3 really good outs.

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets t125, UTG +1 folds, Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

The UTG+1 folding first doesn't change things too much here but you don't have to worry about him raising with a draw or something after you call.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:11 AM

Microbet,

I see you advocate calling the turn. What is your plan for the river? (for various cards)

If he leads out again on a blank river what are you doing? If he checks to a blank? What about a scare card, or a card that helps you?

You dont have to answer all of these, of course, just trying to see what your thought process is.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:51 AM

Well, you are playing live so physical tells are pretty big, especially when someone might have the nuts. Definitely look at him when the river card hits, not at the card.

The way you played the hand, I think scare cards will be pretty scary for him unless they hit him. If a club hits, I wouldn't call any large bet unless I thought I had a really good read on him. This is despite the fact that it doesn't really look like he's on a club draw.

I think he either has a Q, or a weak Ace or maybe a bigger hand that missed a c-raise on the flop or is just a dumb slowplay.

I think it's very unlikely that a hand better than a weak Ace will check a blank river. If he checks a blank river, I think you can probably bet 1/3 pot for value, but that is a little risky.

If he checks a club, he might have you beat, but be scared of the club. Against an unknown, I wouldn't hope to push him off something like AQ just because he's a little scared. In this case, I'd just check behind, since he might have a better hand that wouldn't fold and might have a nutty idea about a c-raise with the nuts, and is somewhat less likely to call with a weaker Ace now.

If the offsuit T hits, awesome, bet big, raise big. Don't go for a slightly more likely small mistake, go for a chance at a big mistake by villian.

Tc, I'm certainly willing to call a bigger bet. I'll bet if checked to, but probably not raise.

I gotta go. No time to go into Jacks. They are a little different I think. Also, I'm a tiny bit rushed, so maybe the above could have a problem or two. Lemme know what you think.