Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 11:47 PM

Default Re: **uNL Concept of the week: Week 2, 3-betting light:**

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should make it $12. 3-betting light is costly enough without making it 3.5-betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not why it's called 3betting

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that was mentioned earlier. My bad.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:57 PM

Dbitel-

This type of pf action is not necessary for generally passive low stakes games. The original raiser will not be raising light enough to make this useful, unless you remember to use it only against TAG's and LAG's with wide and defined PF ranges.

I 3bet a TON in position and to resteal from the blinds in the ridic aggro 2/4 games. I 4bet some. It is NOT something I recommend for 50nl. Its a good post but its better suited for higher stakes imo.

That said microNLers, keep this post in mind as you move up. 3betting is useful at 100nl, very useful at 200nl, and indespensible at 400nl.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this thread you should post HH's showing situations where the concept was applied effectively as well as examples of poor usage of the concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too many people have posted hand examples, and I want opinions on whether: (1) my PF 3bet was good; (2) the cbet was good; (3) the river call was correct.

My read on villain: probably a 2p2er. raises PF every time in CO or Button if folded to. Almost always takes a shot at my big blind when the table folds to us. Also likes to attack limpers/prevent family pots from the blinds. Postflop, observant & aggressive. Never had to show down a hand in the last hour, which is why I can't say for sure that he's loose, although I suspect he is.

This was my first preflop 3bet of the session (1.5 hours at the time), but I had been caught raising light and cbetting with air a fair number of times.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $24.55
CO: $31.25
Button: $6.45
SB: $42.40
Hero: $26.60

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $4</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($8.25, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $6</font>, SB calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($20.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $4</font>, Hero calls.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($28.25, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB is all-in $28.4</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $12.6</font>.
Uncalled bets: $15.8 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: $53.45
Old 11-04-2006, 11:53 PM

Triple,
I don't like your 3-bet PF much. KJ is a dominated hand which is hard to play OOP. I would rather 3-bet here with either a very strong hand (ie. AK) or something like a SC.

I think given your PF play, your flop play is standard. Turn is okay, another option is to just shove (he might call with a hand like TT). River is okay, though I can't really see too many hands you beat.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:01 PM

If we're doing this for FE pre-flop and with a cb, why aren't people suggesting doing this with their worst hands? Why make it more expensive to play a hand that has a decent chance of improving on the flop? OOP this makes more sense, per Dan's article that Orange referred to, but in position we can call, and even float the flop if we didn't hit, but think the OOP raiser is FOS.

I realize that this is read dependent, but against fit-or-fold types, shouldn't we strongly consider 3-betting with trash since FE will dominate the money you make?

In a similar vein, how often would you recommend 3-betting light, in proportion to light raises against you?