Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: i thought i was good

oooooh every post I see like this just smells like vindication to me

2/4 and 3/6 on ftp is soft right now, I'm winning like 20bbs/100 hands. Maybe you should try 1/2.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:00 PM

i find that the best thing when i have a bad swing is to go a few days ( or however long it takes) playing 2-4 tables at 10/20 this gives you more chance to focus on where your going wrong and cocentrate on
getting your game back to its best.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:01 PM

this post by vanveen is a start, maybe he'll chime in with more. im sure others can eloborate as well.

[ QUOTE ]
what many on this forum seem to overlook or just not comprehend is that once you've learned the 'basics' of the game there is a fair bit of chance involved in just how successful your overall strategy manages to be once it has 'congealed'. much of the analysis on this forum from well known long-time winners is often wrong or incomplete, yet they manage to win because they play reasonably tight, avoid making highly exploitable errors, and are fortunate enough to choose frequencies that 'work' into an overall strategy(hi grimstarr!).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2006, 09:23 PM

Grim- before you can expect more detailed responses, I think more than a few readers would like to know WHY you have been sitting 3 handed with people who are known to be the TOP 25/50nl players on Stars. Do you think it will improve your game? do you think you have an edge?

I mean, you've sat 3 handed with BLD and H@ll. there is almost no way that is +ev for you. you should know that(or be willing to finally admit it). saying that your running bad because your 50/50 vs these types of opponents is an obvious mental block- and is definitely hurting your profit. Instead of 4 tabling 25/50 when the games are very tough, why not just 6-8 table 10/20 where you probably have a significant edge.

yes, ideally with a large BR a poker player should try to play as high of games that he feels comfortable in. I mean, no one WANTS to play lower than they feel they can beat. However a lower variance 10/20 game, where you have a higher bb/100, may be better for you personnally. Especially after playing SH 25/50 the variance at 10/20 will seem insignificant, and you will have much less stress in your life because of this.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:24 PM

Read the 2+2 Magazine articles on bankroll management.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:33 PM

bad run at nlhe = good time to learn some omaha. gonna have to sacrifice some short term profit at some point to pick it up...well look like short term profit is negative so...
Old 11-04-2006, 11:00 PM

wow karma is real.

Seriously though avoid playing the very best players HU and 3 handed and you'll seee your results improve.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:05 PM

Grim,

You had bad game selection before Party died. Please - I saw you in a game w/ HEK and two other solid players at 25/50 - I understand what attracts you to those games, but I think you have to step back and recognize that you're not in the top 10 of online poker players at NL nosebleed shorthanded.

However, you should recognize that you are certainly in the top 100, and go seek out games based on that. Despite what you read around HSNL and BBV, poker is not all about machismo, or balls, or being a baller - it's about optimizing your game and game selection so you can make the most money.

Don't even look at 25/50. Focus on 10/20 and below. Get your game back together. You're a winner at everything below 25/50 - do you know how the pros at those limits make a lot of their money? When other pros shot-take and think they can beat the game. You've taken your shot and you're not a favorite. I know that it hurts to move down, and that turns poker into a grind instead of a serious competition - so be it. Still, I think you already knew the answer to this question, and were angling for sympathy/reassurance from the forum. Everyone here knows you're good - but being the 10th best player in the world means [censored] if the top nine guys are at your table.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:11 PM

vn post triumph...u couldn't resist ending it with such a cliche tho could u. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2006, 11:12 PM

hi grim,

there are a lot of msnl players who are as good or better than you who crush the 1knl and 600nl games for substantial amounts of money. you're 19, 300/hour is nothing to frown at. it's probably a minor gambling addiction that keeps you (and me) playing higher than we should.

maybe you do have an edge at 5k. maybe you don't. but there is no shame in crushing a smaller game while you get a degree and let your life take off from there. (you are still in school, right?)
Closed Thread