Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 11:39 AM

Default 1/2 Blind fight with KJo

I have played a few orbits with this opponent and he seems tight and not too aggressive.

WPEX
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

<font color="#0000ff">After I capped that flop I realized that I should have just called because there's a good chance that the opponent has me dominated. I had done that against those reraising lags lately and forgot to adjust.</font>

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="#0000ff">After I realized I'm probably behind I thought I shouldn't c-bet OOP. I just peel the flop because I have outs and fold turn if UI.</font>

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="#0000ff">I got my king, nice. Let's hope it's not dominated. I am not going to show him I have that king yet.</font>

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="#0000ff">Now It's time to check raise. I thought he was going to bet most of the time. I check-raise and call knowing I have myself dominated.</font>

Results:
Final pot: 13BB

Maybe I shouldn't have check-raised the river. What do you think about donking the river?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:45 AM

Default Re: 1/2 Blind fight with KJo

i would call the 3b PF and c/c c/c b/c i think.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:53 AM

this hand is bad IMO.

The cap preflop+ check on flop is just throwing money away...

AFter his 3bet... I probably peel flop and depending on turn peel or most likely fold since he is not too agro

the c/r river is silly... he usually chekcs behind ace high there and will fold his bluff and 3bets everythign that ha syou crushed.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:07 PM

you should play more straightforward

what is the point of capping preflop if you are not going to bet the flop? fwiw, i don't cap this preflop in the first place.

then when you hit your king, it is time to get some money in the pot. by checking the turn and river, you give villain chance to check behind some bad hands that might call a bet. check/raise turn is good. or if you put villain on a narrow range and think he folds a lot to a turn check/raise, then check/call, bet/call is good.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:44 PM

KJo is not a preflop capping hand.
Rest looks like a reasonable, although not the only way to play it.

Edit after reading the thread: I am not a member of the Church of 100% CBetting. As if your opponent doesn't know your full of balony or on a draw most of the time when you CBet 100%, especially on a board like the one you got. And if you C/R'd 100% of the time when you made a hand, that would eventually become obvious too.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:51 PM

Unless the guy is a total LAG just call the three-bet PF rather than capping.

Having capped though, you basically have to bet every flop (unless you plan to check-raise, which is a viable, although potentiaslly costly, plan for winning the pot unimproved). Check-call here is the worst.

Whether you you bet, check-call or check-raise the turn are somewhat player dependent. If villain sees a lot of showdowns then I like a c/r as you want to see three bets going in on the turn and river. Sure, you could be dominated but you are likely well ahead of his range here. If yoiu think villain is capable of finding a good fold when he is badly behind then I do not mind taking a way ahead-way behind line (although I think you are mostly way ahead) and check-calling the turn and betting the river (just calling a river raise).

Note: If you had paired your Jack on the turn instead of your KLing I would just donk the turn as I would be more worried about the risk of giving a free card due to more potential overcards and a possible straight draw.

As played I think you are toast when a "tight and not too aggressive" player three-bets your river c/r. Fold.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not a member of the Church of 100% CBetting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Neither am I, but we just capped preflop from the blind. A cbet here is mandatory, since the pot is big giving nice FE value. And often it does not even cost us anything since we have to peel to a bet anyway.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:27 PM

Checkraise the turn or call down - I would prefer the former though.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:05 AM

I echo everyone's sentiments about the PF cap being bad and I think you need to get some bets in here on the turn so c/r.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:34 PM

I guess I'm just rehashing the above: Don't cap PF; lead out flop if you do cap PF; c/r turn; b/c river