Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Affirmative Action

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why shouldn't people that pay more for education get better education then those that pay less?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because then they have to pay for welfare and cops and prison and drug rehad that results from having large areas with uneducated populace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that this was a free country and that we had freedom of speech, along with virtually free libraries in every city. 'education' is certainly widely available, and for a very cheap price to boot. It does not take money to become educated, only the ability to get to a library.

Try again.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that this was a free country and that we had freedom of speech, along with virtually free libraries in every city. 'education' is certainly widely available, and for a very cheap price to boot. It does not take money to become educated, only the ability to get to a library.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the dumbest thing I have read in this thread so far. So basically what you're saying is that if a person grows up uneducated and in poverty it is 100% their fault because there is a library near by? I'm not so sure about that one.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't defend AA once education and a few other basic conditions become somewhat equalized.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I think this was the intent of affirmative action, I don't think it's working at all. Like I've said before, it seems the biggest beneficiaries of AA programs are the minorities least deserving of it. It's time to look at other ways to level the playing field without giving race based preferntial treatment.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the dumbest thing I have read in this thread so far. So basically what you're saying is that if a person grows up uneducated and in poverty it is 100% their fault because there is a library near by? I'm not so sure about that one.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is dumb is that you are putting words in my mouth. Does that make you inherently dumb or are you just behaving dumbly but usually you behave non dumbly?

My assertion is quite clear and demonstrates quite effectively that it does not a lot take money to become educated. If a 6 year old goes to the library every day for 3 hours after school, and on weekends, and during the summer, and continues to do that for the next decade or so they will very likely become quite educated.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

While I think this was the intent of affirmative action, I don't think it's working at all. Like I've said before, it seems the biggest beneficiaries of AA programs are the minorities least deserving of it. It's time to look at other ways to level the playing field without giving race based preferntial treatment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. AA should be used in conjunction with programs that get to the fundamental cause of the problem. Sadly AA is seen as a sort of catch all solution that people can point to, pretend to be doing something and sleep easier at night.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. AA should be used in conjunction with programs that get to the fundamental cause of the problem. Sadly AA is seen as a sort of catch all solution that people can point to, pretend to be doing something and sleep easier at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus, since it mostly benefits blacks who have power-status postions, you are more likely to have it pushed because they people who benefit are the ones in a postion to do the pushing.