Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 05:37 AM

Default What makes a good pokersite?

Dear users of the forum

I’ve been thinking about launching a new website. The content of course, should be poker related, and for the last month I’ve been giving it a lot of thought. Im going to make it short, because I know you people don’t want go through a lot of detailed stuff.

Here is what I have come up with:

To begin with, the website is not going to be commercial in any way. Only a hobby interest.

I want to target the content of my site to pokerplayers on small/mid stakes Texas Hold’em. Mainly because that’s where the biggest overall volume is. At the same time, high stakes players probably wont be interested in reading about educational content at the level of detail I can provide.

The goal of my site is, that I want to create a poker-portal with free information and educational content with a decent number of returning users.

Now to the main thing – the content of the page:

Articles: I have thought about writing one weekly educational article about a subject of my own choice. Different subjects could be

Cash games

- coping with tilt
- blind defence
- position play
- shifting your own play to match LAG/TAG/LPA’s
- counting your outs efficient
- floating

Tournament play

- defining an efficient handrange to call shove/shove with
- playing around the bubble
- final table play
- play in early/middle/late stages

The above listings is obviously not exhaustive but meant to be examples of the articles’ content.

News: Furthermore I will bring day to day poker-related news that either have a funny twist or are of some importance to players throughout the world. Also tournament coverage.

Poker-dictionary: I want to compose a poker-dictionary for new players to search in, when they read forums and run into words they don’t understant.

Reviews of poker rooms: A well written review-guide of the dominating sites on some of the biggest networks. This is meant as a guidance for new players on where to start.

Tournaments: Short characteristic covering the different live tournaments and how you win seats in them. EPT, WSOP and WPT fx.
This is what I have been thinking of for the last month.

HandQuiz: Every monday I will launch a HandQuiz. The HandQuiz is going to be a hypothetical outlined situation or a an outlined situation, I have faced myself in my daily play. The users of the site, will be able to write comments to the situation and vote in a poll to give their opinion of the play they think is the superior play. If it’s one of the situations from my own sessions, I will give my opinion of what I did, and the reason behind it. Afterwards, the users will be able to discuss and criticize my decision.

There is things, that I can’t do: That is, interviews with pro players and live coverage of the big tournaments. I can’t put up a forum, too.

As you people are the target group for the site, I wish to ask YOU what it is that YOU want on a site like this.

- What do you think, my site lacks?
- What content is it that I need, to make you players come back week after week?

Finally – any comment is welcome. Just shoot.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:16 PM

Default Re: What makes a good pokersite?

I say go for it! Poker players cant get enough of poker so whats another site gonna hurt? I would just make sure you keep it interesting if you want returns. Youd be surprised by the connections you may get... could turn into the next "cardplayer" if you put the effort into it.

Mid stakes holdem is definetly where the volume is at. Maybe think back to when you started playing and the problems you had to overcome and try to target those areas. Most players all go through similar stages in their poker "careers" and if you offer advise that really helps I dont see how you wouldnt have people coming back for more. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Re: What makes a good pokersite?

Hand strategy thread(s) of the day: Take actual hands played from a converter, post them, and sticky it to generate the best conversation about the hand(s)... you can label them appropriately in the thread title.