Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 03:39 AM

Default \"Guide\" for a (very) big stack when 4 players are left and 3 get paid

Hi,

i posted that as an answer in another thread, too. I think its an interesting System to play...I play it by myself and as far as i know it is "working". Of course, you cant say that exactly...but........lets look

Situation: 2 stacks about 2500, one Stack 800 and you have something like 8000...Lets say the blinds are not to high...like 100/200...The shortstack Pushes.
With which range would you call? It may sound silly, but you have two stacks to act behind you. I dont play this situation by odds (even if they "recommend" any two cards), i made up a strategy by myself...Maybe i am a completly talking bs, but i think my strategy is worth at least to be listened

1) Even if you get the right odds, dont call without at leat an pocket pair. I would even laydown a small pocket pair. this sounds very silly, but its in my system

Ok, Reason:
1)
Imagine the small stack goes out...Now everybody will lossen up and is willing to gamble with you. Hence you cant use your big stack very affective. only if you play against very weak-tight people.
2)
But imagine the small stack is still in...you can bully the table like you want by rasing every hand. and i mean EVERYONE. That way i collectetonce 22 Pots in a row!!!!!! I am not kidding!!! (of course this wont happen everytime...) of course i won the first two with good cards...but still...you can put a lot of pressure on you opponents if there is no money for 4. place....most opponents rather wait for aces or the shortstack to get blinded away then risking money with aceX...And if you get called, you still suckout a few times to make everything very profitable.

3)Even more Crazy: i would call him with 32o in order to double him up!!!
You shouldnt forgett, that the small stack is no threat to you. You dont have to fear getting out in 4. place...If someone doubles up trouh you, you can still tighten up and make the money easily. so the existence of a 4. player is in my opinion to your favor!!! Just imagine how many blinds you can steal...

4) By calling with a very bad hand like 32o, you also advertise yourself as a maniac. So they wont push you unless they have a good hand, because they assume, they dont have any foldequity...If you`re in a good mood and the shortstack doubles up (which you actually want him to do), you can give a chat comment like "what a bad beat"...or "man is this guy lucky" or "next time i win, i promise"

5) If you get HU...you can make profit out of your image...nobody will believe that you have a good hand...

ok, this is my system in short words...i would be happy about comments
Old 11-04-2006, 03:41 AM

Default Re: \"Guide\" for a (very) big stack when 4 players are left and 3 get p

omg, ty!!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 03:43 AM

Default Re: \"Guide\" for a (very) big stack when 4 players are left and 3 get p

this is revolutionary.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
omg, ty!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself. Maybe one more exclamation point. omg, ty!!!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 03:48 AM

Dumbest thing I have seen posted on here in a long time.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:52 AM

LOL. You guys are so mean.

Actually, anybody have a link for playing Big Stack on the bubble with a shorty or otherwise? Maybe it would help some of us.

Remember, this site is here to help poker players, and not just seasoned pro's/semi pro's.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:55 AM

Thx for the comments...lol...i dont care if you think this is a stupid post...I am here to learn and if i still have much to learn...good. But maybe you can be a bit more constructive even if you feel like the master of universe.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thx for the comments...lol...i dont care if you think this is a stupid post...I am here to learn and if i still have much to learn...good. But maybe you can be a bit more constructive even if you feel like the master of universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good attitude! Dont let some of these guys get you down.

Also, its Late Friday night for most so some of them are probably drunk/tired/tilted/donking off their chips to me :-)
Old 11-04-2006, 04:08 AM

Fine, I'll be constructive. Go through the FAQ read everything linked to in there. Learn up on ICM especially. Then realize that most of what you said in that first post flies in the face of conventional wisdom here.

[ QUOTE ]

1) Even if you get the right odds, dont call without at leat an pocket pair. I would even laydown a small pocket pair. this sounds very silly, but its in my system

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly. You should call with anything that is going to be +EV with his range especially if the blinds are not too high as you suggest. With the blinds 100/200 you are going to have to keep the shortstack alive for a long time while bullying the hell out of the other players to accumulate many chips and increase your equity by much. And you really don't have that much of a lead on the two medium stacks, if one of them wins an all in against you, you two are almost even.

[ QUOTE ]
3)Even more Crazy: i would call him with 32o in order to double him up!!!
You shouldnt forgett, that the small stack is no threat to you. You dont have to fear getting out in 4. place...If someone doubles up trouh you, you can still tighten up and make the money easily. so the existence of a 4. player is in my opinion to your favor!!! Just imagine how many blinds you can steal...

[/ QUOTE ]

8000 chips is hardly a lock to make the money. In fact I've lost chipleads of that size several times in the last few days. Doubling up the short stack puts him out of the critical range and will cause the other two stacks to loosen up as their probability of finishing in the money has lessened significantly.

[ QUOTE ]
5) If you get HU...you can make profit out of your image...nobody will believe that you have a good hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is just silly. If you do get HU your maniac image is not going to help. The other guy is going to have like 10BBs and it isn't going to matter if he thinks you're full of it or not. If you're playing correctly, you will be full of it, you just don't get enough monsters in a HU match with ~10BBs to be particularly concerned about getting paid off with thme. With it already being HU and him being shortstacked he's going to be calling just about anything reasonable anyways regardless of your image.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:16 AM

Thanks Blackize.

Hey Rachman, do you have ESPN classic? Not a SNG bubble situation, but if you have it turn it on and watch John Juanda play his big stack towards the end of the MTT in Tunica a few years back. If this is the one Im thinking of, it wont hurt ya!

Not a SNG and not a bubble situation where somebody gets zilch, but helpful none the less!