Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Forum Project Step 2-3

Found this article which says that using Fantastico is not the way to install Drupal. You need to scroll to the bottom of the page to see the article.

http://www.hostlibrary.com/Fantastic...e_for_disaster

Can Drupal be used with all web hosts?

Also I just ordered the book called 'Drupal' by David Mercer. Anybody read it? It covers the installation process.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:53 PM

Just watched a video tutorial on installing Drupal on youtube.com. It may be of some help.

It's called 'Installing Drupal 4.7'
Old 11-03-2006, 08:13 PM

UncleSalty if money isn't an issue, why don't you buy some windows app that can interface with remote mysql databases? I use EMS SQL Manager for MySQL. There's probably free ones out there but I've had my copy forever. All i had to do was connect to an already created database and copy and paste the sql statements in the drupal installation guide to the app. It setup all the tables and permissions for me with no problems at all. If anyone else has a similar app maybe they can share in this thread what they use.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:18 PM

this mysql management software is under 50 bux for a license. I haven't used it though but the screenshots look great! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2006, 08:59 PM

I also use EMS Sql Manager. I use the lite version and it is free and can be downloaded from their website for free.

http://www.sqlmanager.net/en/product...nager/download

I've used the lite version for over a year and it suits me just fine.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:22 PM

Guys, thanks so much for the suggestions. It looks like these might make things easier. Once my host gets my SSH connection issues resolved I will definitely give one of these a try.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:00 AM

UncleSalty,

If you have access through phpmyadmin, you can do pretty much anything you want with mysql databases. I get access to this through my cpanel interface, so there is no need for SSH login. From phpmyadmin you should be able to import a database or create tables, whatever you need. Let me know if you need more explicit directions to this. To help you further I need to know what you are working with. Did the install on your local machine come with a database that you need to import? Or did it give instructions to create one?

Max
Old 11-04-2006, 03:40 PM

Max you're a lifesaver!!

Turns out I didn't need the SSH access after all, I just didn't realize that the "query" part of PHPMyAdmin was where I could run the scripts that would copy the schema to my database.

I've got a basic Drupal installation done and working, and have configured my administrator account. Now I just need to figure out how to use the damn thing. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Thanks for the help man.