Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Problem with multiple monitors

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with Windows XP pro. I work on the laptop itself but recently I've plugged a monitor into it to use the multiple monitor feature. When I first did that I had the extra monitor on the right side, and I had identified that in the 'display properties' window and it worked great. However, I recently moved the monitor to the left side, and now every time I start up my computer I have to go into 'display properties' and change the arrangement to show it on the left, because it seeems to default every morning to the right.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to fix it?

Also, is there a way to see the task bar on both monitors?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Problem with multiple monitors

[ QUOTE ]
Also, is there a way to see the task bar on both monitors?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is in the FAQ. Please check it out.

I don't know why your monitor keeps switching sides. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 11-01-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a way to fix it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't turn your PC off overnight. It's actually better for your PC to remain on for longer periods of time. Of course a reboot every now and then is a good thing to clear out any lurking garbage.

But honestly, there have been 1,000,000 posts with problems like this in the past week...problems with how Windows is handling dual monitors. I have no idea how to troubleshoot these problems because they seem totally random.

The best advice i can offer for possibly fixing these problems is getting Ultramon. I run it and I know alot of people do on these forums and I rarely ever see anyone with a problem like this.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But honestly, there have been 1,000,000 posts with problems like this in the past week...problems with how Windows is handling dual monitors. I have no idea how to troubleshoot these problems because they seem totally random.

The best advice i can offer for possibly fixing these problems is getting Ultramon

[/ QUOTE ]I don't see why UltraMon would fix this. It doesn't replace the OS handling of displays; it just adds functionality like move-to-screen buttons and the extra taskbar.

I assume if he installed UltraMon, next reboot he'd have 2 taskbars and a stretched wallpaper and nice widgets, but they'd still be on backwards monitors. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 11-01-2006, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The best advice i can offer for possibly fixing these problems is getting Ultramon

[/ QUOTE ]I don't see why UltraMon would fix this. It doesn't replace the OS handling of displays; it just adds functionality like move-to-screen buttons and the extra taskbar.

I assume if he installed UltraMon, next reboot he'd have 2 taskbars and a stretched wallpaper and nice widgets, but they'd still be on backwards monitors. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam, you may be right. But have you ever seen an UltraMon user complain about such activity? I have lurked the forums for awhile and have just recently starte posting...but in my time I haven't. I used to have general problems like this, things would just happen randomly. But ever since I used a program like MultiMon (i started with) and UltraMon, I have not had any of these issues.

/shrug
Old 11-02-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a way to fix it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't turn your PC off overnight. It's actually better for your PC to remain on for longer periods of time. Of course a reboot every now and then is a good thing to clear out any lurking garbage.

The best advice i can offer for possibly fixing these problems is getting Ultramon. I run it and I know alot of people do on these forums and I rarely ever see anyone with a problem like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not feasible - I use a laptop at work with the multiple monitors, then I take it home every night.

Thanks for the help though. I'll probably just tough it out. I was just curious if anyone had encountered my problem before.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:52 PM

ok, i understand why you turn your laptop off each day.

i used to have weird windoze problems like this, and i know alot of ppl post here with similar things regarding multiple monitors. i have tried searching the net and microsoft kb for fixes, but have not found any.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:38 AM

I have this problem when my computer gets turned off or even goes to a screen saver or something. I have to consistently go back and change it, a little annoying. I have a desktop arriving today however so hopefully it can cure all of my woes (and hopefully I'll have no problem with two 20 inch monitors on my new Dell desktop).