Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 02:42 PM

Default AK in late posistion (Loose table)

Your playing 2/4 NL 9 man table. Stacks vary in size (but all have 1/2 to a full buy-in) Seats 2 ,3, & 5 limp into the pot. You have Ah Kd on the CO. The players at the table have played very loose preflop and have been calling raises with very medicore holding such as Ax suited and J10o out of posistion. Actions to you

1. Your obv. going to make a raise here but do you bet the pot or bet a little more than the pot size?

Now youve made your pot size bet and gotten called by seats 2 & 3 who both have weak calling standards. Flop comes
Js 10s 6h
Seats 2 & 3 (who both have 1/2 - 3/4 buy-ins) check to you

2. Do you fire a pot size bet to try to take it down knowing youve got def. got 3 good outs and several possible outs, or do you just check and give up on the pot?

You fired a pot size bet into the flop and seat 2 smoothed you off. The turn was a brick X he checks to you what is your play now?

Js 10s X X

-----------------------------------------------------
I have ran into this spot several times recently and I am getting a bit frustrated with how I am playing the hand. I pick up the AK and know the limpers almost always have a weaker holing than AK. I end up raising the pot to around pot + 1/2 to try to push these players off their hands and take the pot down right there. My action usually goes I miss the flop fire one round then just let the hand go. Should I just start making my pre-flop raises pot to encourage the players to stay in the hand w/ a weaker A? Whats the play here?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: AK in late posistion (Loose table)

I overbet the pot a little preflop. With 3 limpers I'd make it 8 or 9 BB.

I bet close to pot on the flop, then when called on this particular flop, I'm probably two-barrelling a lot since it's so drawy and a lot of people give up if you fire twice.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I overbet the pot a little preflop. With 3 limpers I'd make it 8 or 9 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

[ QUOTE ]
... I'm probably two-barrelling a lot since it's so drawy and a lot of people give up if you fire twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. This flop is horrible for your hand for the exact reason you are stating you should double barrell. There are too many straight, flush and straight-flush draws as well as 2 pair hands out there. You can try to take a stab at the flop but after being called im giving up on the turn.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... I'm probably two-barrelling a lot since it's so drawy and a lot of people give up if you fire twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. This flop is horrible for your hand for the exact reason you are stating you should double barrell. There are too many straight, flush and straight-flush draws as well as 2 pair hands out there. You can try to take a stab at the flop but after being called im giving up on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you give up on AA if you had it?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:27 PM

Against loose players with a flop that bad, I'm not c-betting. The raise preflop is standard. You get money in preflop when you're ahead, give up on the flop when you are likely behind. You also give yourself a free shot to hit an A, K, or Q by checking behind.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:54 PM

dont cbet vs 2 loose players
vs 1 it's ok, but you have a much higher probability of being called if theres 2