Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 09:10 AM

Default Re: the age of * is over

[ QUOTE ]
But thanks for calling me an idiot. And a baby.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ain't that the hallmark of truly great moderators? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
(sorry, couldn't resist)

I may be *'ed but that doesn't scar me for life. I can live with that, and I haven't noticed anyone treating me differently on the boards for that. The only concern I'm having right now with it, is that some people might (and probably will) interpret what I'm going to say next as "bitchin' about my *".
Maybe I'll even get called an idiot and/or baby, too.

Anyway, here goes:
I'm also under the impression (which very well may be way off) that the warnings are being handed out arbitrarily. That's probably a byproduct of the rules being rather vague and the interpretation of them is the business of individual mods.
As a matter of fact, OOT could scrap their tidy list of rules and replace it by a one-liner saying
"If a mod thinks your post sucked, you'll get a *. Suck 3x and you're out."
That'd sum it up neatly.

Everyone instinctively knows what a good or bad post is. And some posters just love to dance the thin line between them. If they push too far and get punished, well, they deserved it to get punished.
If someone really believes it is okay to post their latest 1280x1040 desktop wallpaper, then they deserve to learn otherwise the hard way, too.

The main reason for having rules stickied, as I see it, is to give more responsible posters the chance to not get warned. But on the other hand you'll always find the guys/girls trying to find loopholes to get away with crap, or simply to get their daily dose of trolling. This again leads to some rules being completely vague, basically stating my one-liner from above, so that a mod can at any time * whomever they want.
So, why bother about the hard & fast rules in the first place? Scrap'em and make it the mod's law zone. That way you won't have to answer to anyone complaining about the mod doing what he/she wants, because that's the rule.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I know if my custom title were to be taken away to be replaced by some retarded * I would be pretty pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]
So I'd bet you think twice about how much your post sucks before you post it in OOT, right? Or if you didn't, and said * replaced your title, you wouldn't make the same sucky mistake in the future, right?

Sounds like the system works pretty well to me.

Yes, of course the * system is at least partially about punishment. But that's a good thing. The worst retardation that happens on the internet always occurs because people think they can rush their fat little fingers over their keyboard and post whatever they want without consequence. Implement consequences, and you curb the idiocy sharply.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) So why isn't it working? (and yes, I'm saying as a matter of fact that it isn't)

2) more importantly, why does a non-OOT user have to hear about it? There are ways to keep this just in OOT, why not implement one?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) So why isn't it working? (and yes, I'm saying as a matter of fact that it isn't)

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, this is so funny! It should be in LOL!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] you dude. I'm not the one acting like a * is a [censored] stab in the heart. What makes a good OOT poster changes everyday and gets more and more vague. I'm glad to not be known as an OOT poster by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether he was right or wrong ... LOL at you consistently telling everyone that they are taking this thing too seriously.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:57 AM

i'm just posting to see if any of my *s have been removed yet.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm just posting to see if any of my *s have been removed yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

STFU noob
Old 11-02-2006, 12:22 PM

NT!,

See if you can trick him into one more post in OOT so you can ban his ass! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2006, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's dumb, it's always been dumb, it arguably goes against what the forums should be, it makes no sense from a 2p2 is primarily a business point of view, and, from a practical point of view, the fact that every month seems to bring more *s than the previous one should be enough to demonstrate it simply isn't working.

I never really cared about the *s because it was primarily an OOT thing, but that's obviously not the case anymore, there's posts about this in multiple forums (including this one*).
*one here can = post or forum, depending on your mood.

In my opinion, it's obviously time to do away with these, but maybe I'm alone.

BTW, if you have a *, don't use this thread to bitch about it pls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even know what a * was until I got banned last week. I agree. You get mods (who im guessing are in there 20s or 30s) and are on a power trip like NL! or NT! or whatever his name is and they will give you a * if they disagree with your opinion on a topic. I did a post last week and there were over 100 replies and I got banned because it didn't fit his interest. Makes no sense.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is time to do away with these, and they were never a good idea. I don't care exactly about stars really, it's the bannings (and threat of bannings) that are the problem. The forums IMO should be a place of open discussion where people aren't afraid of getting banned if they express an unpopular opinion, or if some people don't find them funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got banned last week for doing a thread about "misconception about pitbulls". There was 100 replies people giving their honest opinions. Then NT! was trying to be popular or something w/ the OOT people and banned me. I still don't understand it. Maybe he doesn't like pitbulls. There was nothing wrong w/ that thread. Give everyone that replies a * then. Don't pick on me. He obviously has a vendetta against me since I posted in the SPorts section yesterday about Mich/OSu and he took the time to write, "Now everyone in SPorts Section can read Toddys awful posts since he's banned from OOT" I mean what the hell.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Toddy,

There is nobody in OOT who misses you. Thank you for posting in support of my work as OOT mod.

P.S. can you maybe tone down the trolling in the sports forum just a bit, they are filling my inbox with pure hate now that you are their problem.