Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 11:31 PM

Default 100 NL Six Max, Two Semi-Bluffs

I think I semi-bluff too much and anyone who plays with me for any length of time is going to pick up on that and crush me for it.

So I need to reduce the number of times I semi-bluff but I am having issues determining the best times to do it and when it's best to back off.

In that vein, I offer the following two hands for commentary.

Hand One: 100NL Six Max on Full Tilt

Villain in this hand seems competent but overly aggressive (4.7 aggression factor).

I am on the button with KK and 114.55. Villain is UTG with 106.75.

Villain raises to 4, a fold, I raise to 12, blinds fold, villain calls.

$25.50 in the pot, Flop comes Ac Qh 7c. I have the Kc for the backdoor nut flush draw.

Villain checks which I expect he would do with pretty much anything. I bet 20 which is 4/5 the pot. He calls.

At this point, I figure he has at least the ace and possibly a set of queens. There's some chance he has sevens and some chance he's got the flush draw but I'd be surprised to see it.

Turn is the 3c putting three clubs out there. 65.50 in the pot.

He checks. I figure there is very little chance he has the flush, but I can represent one and I push.

Looking back on it, all the reasons I had for thinking he didn't have the flush applied to me as well. He surely put me on a big pocket pair so unless it was aces his ace or queens were good and if he did have an ace how likely would it be that I had the other two? Meanwhile, he was very aggressive and he was calling...that should send out alarm bells.

Any thoughts and commentary?

Hand Two:

Full Tilt 100NL Six Max, different table ten minutes later.

I am one off the button with A7s. Folded to me and I limp. I've been limping a lot with Ax suited. NLHTAP seems to think that's a good idea. I think I tend to take it too far but hey, I was one off the button.

Button minraises, small blind folds, big blind calls, I call.

6.50 in the pot, flop comes KQJ two hearts so I have the nut flush draw and a gutshot broadway draw.

Checked to the button who bets five. Big blind folds, I call. I don't have any real reads on the button but I have to figure I'm behind at least a pair.

Pot is 16.50, turn card is a 7 so unless he has a set or better I have nine hearts, two sevens and three aces to win and four tens to at least tie.

I assumed he was putting me on a draw and deduced that he would be betting with more than just the made straight. A set, two pair, even one pair. I think his most likely holdings are KQ or KJ and I figure I have played this like I had a draw but also like I flopped a straight. Up to this point I think my play is indistinguishable from AhTh

I check, he bets 13. He's got 47 more, I have 88 total. I pot it, he pushes which is only 4.50 more, and I call.

Thoughts and commentary?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Re: 100 NL Six Max, Two Semi-Bluffs

hand 1) your 3bet is too small, i would have made it $14, dont think i liek the turn push esp on an AQx board in a reraised pot. I dont thinks hes folding any hands.

Hand 2) i dont like limping here. I think you could have played this flop a bit more aggressivly, you have 12 outs to the nuts. C/r or B/3b are better options than check/call. Given your outs, pot odds and possible FE, putting him in on the turn is fine.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:46 PM

Default Re: 100 NL Six Max, Two Semi-Bluffs

Did you lost your stack for both hands?