Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Fold, Call, Or Push All In?

I find this hand very interesting. My friend swears I have to push. I think a call is fine to see the flop. Also I can't get any hand converters to work today.

$20 MTT on Button 595 chips. 9 players.

4 limpers of $100

Action to me on Button

Hold 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero?

I think seeing a flop here from the button and leaving T495 here is fine, rather than pushing and definetly getting callers. Hopefully I can catch a peice and shove the rest in. If not I have time. (this is 1st hour of a tourney)

Edit: I don't have much time, but I have a full orbit to pick another hand.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Fold, Call, Or Push All In?

Easy, easy push. Calling off 1/6 of your stack ina multi-way field to see if you'll "hit" the flop is TERRIBLE.

Shove and pray that someone can isolate.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:09 PM

fold>>>>shove>>>call

edit: morn has a good point, and im dyslexic
Old 11-01-2006, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy, easy push. Calling off 1/6 of your stack ina multi-way field to see if you'll "hit" the flop is TERRIBLE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this so bad? There is 7 people in the pot after the small and BB. Thats 700 chips. I think you can call this its a thin line but I think you can. If the flop is AK2 you will be happy you saved those chips for another hand. If it comes 9910 you can now make some $
Old 11-01-2006, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how this is an "easy" push. I understand that if you succeed in isolating your equity is through the roof, But with an M of 4 and the button, can't you wait until the next hand or the one after that to be the first in the pot all in to probably pick up the blinds.

Also, the reason calling is horrible is because you are so shortstacked that if the flop doesn't hit you between the eyes you are losing important fold equity having a stack that is shorter by another $100. Also calling is bad because you only get to see 3 cards.

So in my opinion folding>>>pushing>>>>caling
Old 11-01-2006, 02:24 PM

Hmmm...With 6 or 7 limpers, one of them has got a hand and is trying to encourage more people to get involved. I'd fold this and wait for a better spot, that is unless the blinds are about to go up to 100/200 in the next 1-2 minutes. If the latter is the case, push and try your luck. You may find people laying down pp's fearing a reraise from someone in later position.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The HH would be helpful, as I'd want to know what other stack sizes are out there.

I'm actually dumping this, because early in a tournament, you're not usually going to drive anyone else out; the villains will put you on a wide range, and call. You will simply be playing this thing three or four handed.

I would rather open shove any two from the CO than this.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:27 PM

I like it better if it's 43, 54, 65, rather than T9 if there's going to be multiway action.

Well, clumping. Naptime.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:31 PM

I fold this here.

Humorously enough, I'd play 87, 65 or 54 in multiway pots since they're less likely to be dominated. But not T9. You're getting called by at minimum two of those limpers.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The HH would be helpful, as I'd want to know what other stack sizes are out there.

I'm actually dumping this, because early in a tournament, you're not usually going to drive anyone else out; the villains will put you on a wide range, and call. You will simply be playing this thing three or four handed.

I would rather open shove any two from the CO than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

with 5 limpers in this hand - WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU WILL BE FIRST IN IN CO???

Even if you are - you shove and maybe pick up the blinds - whoo-hoo, 150 chips BOOM SHIP IT HOLLA... oh, wait, you're still in the push-fold mode...

You shove this and get isolated by 1 guy - you're getting close to 2:1 on your money for a chance of having ~1700 chips if you get lucky and now you have something to work with. If you lose - well, it's a $20 MTT, fire up another one.