Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 06:48 PM

Default PS 5+.50 SNG\'s Profitable?

Hey,

This is one of my first posts here, so please be patient with me...lol. I am playing the PS 5+.50 SNG's, and I just can't seeem realize how to make them profitable for me. I am following hand guidelines, and think that I should be able to beat this limit. I play very tight early on, and play only premium hands, and then occasionally steal blinds on occasion when the blinds are up over 25/50. I either bust out early due to some bad beat (set over set, AA losing to 10/10 all in), or barely make it in the money, and by the time I do, the blinds are either so high/my stack being so short, that it's a crapshoot for higher than 3rd. Even if I have a healthy stack and play selective aggro, by the time it gets heads up, the blinds are already 1/10 of the stacks, basically making it a coinflip. I am about breakeven on them now, but I hear of SNG's being a very profitable way to build your BR.

Thanks!
Alec
Old 10-31-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: PS 5+.50 SNG\'s Profitable?

people make profit in sngs?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:01 PM

WTF is profit
Old 10-31-2006, 07:04 PM

...OK, in all seriousness, yes, they are very profitable. Read the forum, post hands you were confused about, learn. You likely haven't played enough of them (most people here have played thousands) to have a decent idea of where you stand.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:09 PM

he means 10's of thousands and yes they are prophitable just read the forums
Old 10-31-2006, 08:04 PM

Players who think STT endgame is a crapshoot are the reason it's not.

[ QUOTE ]
Read the forum

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-31-2006, 08:12 PM

It sounds a bit like your bubble play is suffering. You may also not be aware of situations in which you should be pushing instead of calling or folding. Reading hand situations on this board will really help in those two areas.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:14 PM

The prize structure of a 9-player SNG makes it profitable to just get in the money. Obviously getting 1st and 2nd and getting them more often is even more profitable, but consider that if you get 1st/2nd/3rd at 12%/22%/66% you only need to get ITM 33% of the time to have a +ROI. Note that a 10% increase in ITM increases your value 3x as much as a 10% increase in finishing 1st/2nd. If you are not +ROI at the 5.50's then I suspect the problem has more to do with not getting ITM than the blind/stack ratio when you get HU. Consider starting by perfecting your bubble play with SNGPT and as others have said, post hands that you are unsure about.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:22 PM

I'd also highly suggest checking out SnGWIZ. You can use it for 30 days completely free. The quiz hands it offers is very nice, and you can use it to analyze some of your push/fold play. Anyways, I don't want to sound like a marketing rep for SnGWIZ so I'll leave it at that.

Welcome to 2P2.

P.S. I'd wait to get SnGWIZ until you read ICM and understand it completely. Otherwise you won't get anything from any SnG ICM tool.

P.P.S. It's math heavy, and while good SnG play is very mathematical, it is not at all required that you completely understand all the math behind it. So long as you understand the result, you'll do fine. I'd still take the time to try to get at least a shallow understanding of the math principles.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...OK, in all seriousness, yes, they are very profitable. Read the forum, post hands you were confused about, learn. You likely haven't played enough of them (most people here have played thousands) to have a decent idea of where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

1st 100% serious post evar?