Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 07:52 AM

Default Losing the will to play/grind

I know some might say this should go in the Psychology forum, but it relates to mid stakes multitablers so mods please keep it here.

Basically as you may of noticed due to my lack of posts here in recent weeks i havent been playing much.

I seem to of lost the will to play anymore. The whole US ban element i feel has killed a lot of the hope. Also, maybe its becuase im now looking into jobs and i know this will only be a temporary money earner now rather than the hope i had that id be raking in $200K a year playing this.

Just wondering if others have gone through this patch. For example, i have a few days free now (got to spend a few hour on my job applications as well) but i cant really be bothered to play.

I think its also the stakes im rolled for simply dont excite me whatsoever. I've literally spent so much the last few years, that rather than having a $60-70K roll ive got 8K roll or so. I want to be playing 5-10nl but my roll says 1-2nl. I cant be bothered to grind out 6-7 tabling 1-2nl. Maybe i will today and give it another try.

Anyways, just wondering if any other grinders have gone through/are going through similar problems.

many thanks, and mods please keep this here,

john kane
Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Losing the will to play/grind

[ QUOTE ]
I cant be bothered to grind out 6-7 tabling 1-2nl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, it sounds like you're spoiled. I used to be a 5/10 LHE grinder and its like a gift to be able to play 600NL and be overrolled for it.

If you're really losing intrest then wait to you get a job and be a recreational player and play underrolled but 6-8 tabling 1/2 isnt a bad living and if you put in the hrs you'll move back up in no time.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 AM

move up in stakes
Old 10-31-2006, 08:02 AM

It's just like anything that is a habit. It used to be that a day when I played zero hands was rare, unless I was away, but at the moment it's rare that I play at all - and it doesn't feel odd. It's just getting out of the habit and being busy with so many things, and realising that poker isn't as important as you think when you put so many hours in (assuming that you have the means to live as you want of course).
Old 10-31-2006, 08:10 AM

Has the new law really changed anything except that US citizens can't play in some sites? Online games are still good. Good income can still be made in online poker.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:31 AM

i think ill just play some higher limits but buying in for less than the max. i also think that i know realise how little free time i have compared to the summer where i never did anything except play poker and go out whereas now i have academic work + pending interview + tests for jobs etc that its just no longer a hope to make a sod load before i finish university.

ill play for a few hours now i think. see how it goes.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:57 AM

take shots mvoe up asap john kane!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:24 PM

i dont understand grinders period