Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Google Reader (RSS aggregator)

OK just found a new thing that I think is a pretty good use of Google Reader. I like to read all the posts by certain posters on 2+2, which I mainly do by having their profiles bookmarked and clicking on the "Show all user's posts" link in their profile.

Feedity.com allows you to create RSS feeds for sites that don't have feeds themselves.

With some adjustments you can come up with what I think are workable RSS feeds for new posts by specific 2+2 users. Feedity allows you to do some tweaking to help it figure out what information to scrape, and I changed the output from showing 25 items to just 10, but overall this seems to be working. For some reason the results show up in the RSS feed out of order, and it doesn't update instantly (I'm not sure how often Feedity.com checking for updates), but it seems like a good workaround.

The basic feed URL ends up being something like this. You can copy it and add it Google Reader (or whatever RSS aggregator), replacing "3376" (which is my 2+2 member #) with the member # of the person you want.

I assume that Feedity.com could be used similarly to track new posts on the forums themselves but haven't tried it out.

If anyone tries this out let me know if/how it works for you.