Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Re: ed miller says fold

Wow, this is a pretty standard fold. I love to have 67s on the button, but I do not like calling 7bb raises with them or playing them HU against a PFR. Now, if I am the one raising limpers then I like it fine.

Occasionally re-raising to mix it up is fine, but against a player described as solid (I assume that means he can lay down his QQ when you shove that 345 flop) I have no problem folding this.

Just think. You are calling 7bbs to flop 2-pair or better. One of you math guys calculate how much you need to win on average to make that call profitable. SCs play well multi-way, not in HU raised (or re-raised) pots.

LOL at SSNL questioning Ed's thought process here.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:44 AM

i didnt post on his site b/c i want to know if hes wrong or im wrong so i asked here b/c you guys know more than me. i guess i should ask him to but hes just gonna say the same thing again right?

ty about his book. jii what do you think is horrible in it? i heard it was good but im still reading his limit book so its gonna be a while before i get to it.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i didnt post on his site b/c i want to know if hes wrong or im wrong so i asked here b/c you guys know more than me. i guess i should ask him to but hes just gonna say the same thing again right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed is a pretty reasonable guy. Just pose a reasonable question and I think you will get an answer. Tell him it seems his answer ignores the 5/10 rule and does not appear to fully take in to account implied odds. Ask him a specific question. Tell him how you would play it and why.

I spent some time with him this summer and he seemed to have a solid handle on SSNL play.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:01 PM

No one seems to be pointing out that in the example given your position relative to the raiser sucks.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:36 PM

i talked to my friend about it and he said the same thing about the relative position. like if you make a flush draw you still have to pay a lot for it because of the raiser next to you. that makes sense. i just dont get the part about the pair still. are you going to play a pair of 7s anyway?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, this is a pretty standard fold. I love to have 67s on the button, but I do not like calling 7bb raises with them or playing them HU against a PFR. Now, if I am the one raising limpers then I like it fine.

Occasionally re-raising to mix it up is fine, but against a player described as solid (I assume that means he can lay down his QQ when you shove that 345 flop) I have no problem folding this.

Just think. You are calling 7bbs to flop 2-pair or better. One of you math guys calculate how much you need to win on average to make that call profitable. SCs play well multi-way, not in HU raised (or re-raised) pots.

LOL at SSNL questioning Ed's thought process here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

You can't call with 67s here for value alone.

You could call if you think you can use your positional advantage to sometimes win the hand unimproved, but that requires a great deal more info than the fact that villain raised some limpers. You'd have to know a lot about how the villain plays postflop, for instance, and whether or not the blinds/limpers are likely to call (because trying to win unimproved in multi-way pot is a horrible idea).