Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2006, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Studio 60 about to be canceled, says Fox News

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The heavily hyped "Studio 60" has settled in at around 8 million viewers in the past few weeks, well below that of its lead-in, "Heroes" (13 million-plus). The Aaron Sorkin-created series is, however, among the top shows on TV among "upscale" viewers -- those with incomes above $75,000.

[/ QUOTE ]
-Zap2it

Isn't that at least worth keeping it around for? Don't ad agencies love these audiences?

In any case, I think Fox news saying it will be cancelled is good news for those hoping for it to stay on.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's almost too upscale for most of the products that are advertised on TV.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:31 PM

I really like 3 of those shows :

Shark (Thurs. 10 p.m.): full season renewal
Heroes (Mon. 9 p.m.): full season renewal
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (Mon. 10 p.m.): on the fence

2 out of 3 ain't bad.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:32 PM

FNL will be up against CSI: Miami tomorrow, a much more popular show than NCIS. I don't know how well running a football show against Monday Night Football will work, but I'm just some [censored] with a computer.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:59 AM

Alex - FNL won't run against MNF in most of the country (really only EST). Anyway, I'm a fan of FNL, and want it to stay on the air. Hopefully it'll do at least what Studio 60 managed in that time slot.

-Al
Old 10-30-2006, 03:24 AM

Al - Not to be a total nit, but doesnt prime time start at 7 in CST, which would put FNL on at 9? That would still put it up against MNF and possibly would in MST too if the game ran long at all. That really only leaves the West Coast (and MST if the game ends by 11 EST).

On a side note, since The 9 isnt doing that great, I think they should flip Medium back to Monday and put S60 at 10 on Weds (where the old L&O used to be).
Old 10-30-2006, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Al - Not to be a total nit, but doesnt prime time start at 7 in CST, which would put FNL on at 9? That would still put it up against MNF and possibly would in MST too if the game ran long at all. That really only leaves the West Coast (and MST if the game ends by 11 EST).

On a side note, since The 9 isnt doing that great, I think they should flip Medium back to Monday and put S60 at 10 on Weds (where the old L&O used to be).

[/ QUOTE ]

Without looking anything up, I'd imagine that, of US households not on EST, many more of them are PST and MST than not.

scrub
Old 10-30-2006, 12:49 PM

I finally saw 'Til Death and I laughed. Not super, but not terrible.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:35 PM

I like studio 60, it's different to every other drama, i.e. no crime theme (which I enjoy but there is a limit).

I think TV Execs are getting a little trigger happy with the cancel button. Once a show airs, they should comit to 9-13 episodes, so people that get into a show don't get pissed off every time. Smith had potential, real potential. Kidnapped is good too, and at least NBC is willing to show off the rest of the season.

The other show I hope doesn't get cancelled is Vanished, but I don't have all that much hope in Fox.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:50 PM

I have the feeling the new scripts will contain lots of not-so-subtle slams against "NBS". It's going to be SportsNight all over again.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But considering how much they've botched their Primtime schedule, and how much money they'll be losing in certain areas, they might be panicking and cutting as much cost as humanly possible to make this fiscal year's bottom-line look as good as possible.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. If they were just in "bad" shape, then I could see them holding on to an expensive freshman show hoping it turned things around. But financially, NBC is in crash and burn mode right now.

The other factor here is simply this: people tuned in to watch this show. The pilot had good ratings. Not amazing, but roughly what was expected. If the ratings had stablized after a normal post-pilot dip, things would be peachy. If the initial ratings had been as low as they are now, the argument could be made that NBC hadn't promoted enough/properly, or that the timeslot was bad.

But none of those things are the case. Think what you will about the show's quality; the fact is that the eyeballs were THERE the first week, even the second. They've been rapidly tuning out ever since. Given the massive promotion, the massive critical buzz... and now the massive critical bashing, the ratings dive, etc... well, I don't think this is something a show can come back from. It's difficult to convince viewers to give a show a second try after they dropped it on first taste, and combine that with all the negative commentary? I can't see this as a "NBC should hang onto it to grow an audience and cultivate a hit."

This isn't The Office or Seinfeld. They had the viewers, and they lost them -- week to week, or losing audience from the Heroes lead-in, or losing viewers halfway through the hour. On all counts, this show is bleeding viewers.

Whether you blame that on the viewers or on the show, it's still the case. Even if I LOVED the show, I couldn't blame NBC for pulling the plug on S60.

On a sidenote: while that FoxNews article linked is pretty LOL in terms of credibility, it does make me sad that I'm agreeing with a FoxNews article's assessment of anything. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]