Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 05:58 AM

Default Re: If you can give a little money to try to defeat Jon Kyl

you can real my "other posts" ( i have posted here for years) to your heart's content. I still say, what i have been saying all along in this recent discussion, that few if any Democrats have stood up for online gambling and said they would change the law.

the fact is that Democratic operatives have used this site recently to get poker players to support their leaders. The reasons are not based on trying to "save poker" but to elect Democrats and all that comes with that. I am sure many take their claims at face value and are giving money to an unknown for pure reasons. Yet the fact remains, Democratic operatives are trying to use 2+2ers to get political vicotories and bring in a leftist agenda.

Again, i think Kyl sucks. I am against Kyle, Goodlatte, and Frist. Yet, i realize the world is complicated and electing a bunch of elitist big government tax lovers will do ZERO for online poker. We need to support libertarian leaning politicos, most of which are members of the Republican Party.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how would it be huge for online poker? does his opponent stand up for online poker? would the opponent care that online poker types sent a few thousand dollars? I am no Kyl fan, but the opponent of the devil is not always an angel. If i am going to give money to a losing campaign, at least let me give it to someone who says they will repeal the online gambling ban.

[/ QUOTE ]Hail Bush!!! and every other republican in office.We know bro we`ve read your posts before.The idea that you would even question how it would help online poker to remove Kyl from office is amazing.My guess is that if he was a democrat you`d be leading the parade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cowboy, the point is that we need to get our voice out. This is one of the best ways I have seen of doing this. To me, it doesn't matter if Pederson is an angel (since I don't believe any politicians are angels anyhow--there's no such thing). What does matter to me is getting our voice out. This is a great opportunity for doing that!

There was another post on the Talent vs. McCaskil race in Missouri:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=2#Post7770567

The idea in that post was to contribute enough to show that poker players do make a difference. Please read through that entire post for further explanation on getting our voice out. This is a similar situation, but I believe our voice will be emphasized better in this race for the following reasons:

1. In Talent vs. McCaskel, it is harder to show a link between the candidates and our issues. It is true that the legislation went through under a republican led congress, but it is also true that a majority of democrats supported this bill. So, strictly blaming one party is probably going too far. However, here we do have a direct link: Kyl sponsered the anti-online gambling bill! How does it get any more direct than that.

2. In this case, we have a good tracking mechanism to show exactly how much we are contributing as a sign of our opposition to the person that sponsored the anti-online gambling bill. Later, we will be able to direct politicians (both republican and democrat) to the tracking web site! We can show politicians that our voice does matter. We can show that anyone that tries to take our rights away (regardless of whether they are republican or democrat) are going to gain enemies! That's huge!

3. If Pederson pulls off the upset, he is going to be grateful to anyone who helped him. If the poker community donated say $25,000 to him in the name of opposing Kyl, and several of us remind him of this via correspondence, do you really think Pederson is going to crucade against online poker like Kyl has done? Come on! Think about it. This is so basic.

If you are still not convinced, please goto the McCaskill link above. Show all the posts flat. Then, do a search for "Kyl" in that post.

BTW, there is one thing I agree with you on, and that is that Bush could probably care less one way or the other. In fact, a lot of politicians probably don't care too much. And, this is exactly why we need to get our voice out. We need politicians to start caring.

Finally, please know that I have voted Republican/Libertarian pretty much my whole life. But, this issue goes beyond that. Right now, it is much more important that our voice is heard.

If any of you feel as I do, please make whatever donation you can against Kyl. Also, talk to others about this. I just talked to a friend (also a republician) who agreed with me and made a small donation to Pederson. This is a golden opportunity; poker players should not let this one pass by. Here's the link:

http://www.actblue.com/page/pokerplayers
Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 AM

JLK, i appreciate your desire and tenacity. For that reason I will look into this, and if i think Pederson is the better candidate, I will throw him a few tokes. However, if I do not see in black and white that he plans to repeal this ban, I must take a few more questions into accout. Some of these questions will be: Do i want to weaken to War on Terror? Do i want the capital gains tax cuts reversed? Do I want the chance to to end the "Death Tax" killed? etc.

seriously, I respect your view. I am a Repubican (not registered) but I vote all parties and support all that support liberty and the Constitution.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how would it be huge for online poker? does his opponent stand up for online poker? would the opponent care that online poker types sent a few thousand dollars? I am no Kyl fan, but the opponent of the devil is not always an angel. If i am going to give money to a losing campaign, at least let me give it to someone who says they will repeal the online gambling ban.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon Kyl #1 project has been online gambling for this entire decade if not longer.

I have to head off to work, but I have read elsewhere he wants to go even further than they already have.

It has been discussed that Pederson is neutral at this point on online gambling and thought it has been a waste of time to attack it.

We know we could have public enemy #1 on the ropes right now, so lets go after him.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Jon Kyl #1 project has been online gambling for this entire decade if not longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

So sad...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 AM

Here is the spin boys - and its an easy one - These contributions are about sending a message. That message is this - if you do shady things in congress, we will vote you out. This bill was snuck thru, and none of the imcumbents did anything, get em out.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:07 AM

I tossed in my $25...I'd love to see him booted.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:27 AM

To reiterate:

Pederson has not said one way or the other whether he supports online poker. He has been dismissive of Kyl's support though.

Either way, it is IRRELEVANT. Kyl is one of the top 5 ranking Republican senators and it is likely he will be consolidating power if he wins. Bill Frist is retiring and its likely Rick Santorum will lose. This means Kyl will move up the pecking order to be one of the top 3 Republican senators in terms of seniority and power.

Now, once the law goes into effect there will be 270 days for the banking system to determine how to enforce this. The Treasury department has authority/jurisdiction in this matter. Which Senate committee has oversight on the Treasury?

Thats right, the Senate Finance Committee. Kyl is on it and so are the other two above. He would end up being the number 2 ranking member on the committee who oversees how the legislation is implemented.

I can appreciate there are Republicans who play poker, but this guy has gone out of his way to attack our game. There are dozens of other issues important to you or I in which he should be focusing, but instead he has decided to make online gambling his pet project. If you think he is simply going to call it a day after the election because they got a mangled bill passed, you are mistaken.

NOBODY has worked harder to outlaw online gambling, so it is a strawman argument to ask whether his opponent supports poker. It is almost certain no official would dedicate even half the amount of energy that Kyl has to push this issue.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:43 AM

cowboyzfan... Does this help!

http://www.gambling911.com/Jon-Kyl-I...ng-102606.html
Old 10-30-2006, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Democratic operatives are trying to use 2+2ers to get political vicotories and bring in a leftist agenda

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody who truly believes there is more than 2% difference between the parties in a real sense is living in their own private Idaho. The process of getting elected and the money it takes has so ruined the business of government that it has become routine for politicians to look directly into the camera and "who are you going to believe? Me, or your own lying eyes..."